Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Record Jumbo Pistol project

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed

The Record Jumbo Pistol project

She has arrived and she's quite pretty (I'll figure out photos later on), but naturally as project implies shes a Patient.

Todays diagnosis is short as a snapped through bolt needs attention before she's opened up but going through the function processes the springs are strong and theres no noticable signs of metal fatigue, she cocks fine and trigger is good with no unholy noises like the 25 but sadly theres no air pressure.
    Now I know there is a common fault, it's unique oval Piston washer fails with age so perhaps it's this, and if it is has anyone started making them yet?

This is just initial findings of course, cosmetics wise she's been cared for so bar maybe a bit of wax and oil so this ones just a case of get her shooting.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Also to add, does anyone make those Bolts, shown to the Old Man and whilst he says it's doable it may be a pig to make.
    No order being put in yet mind until I've been fully through it, as it'll be sods law something else is needed.

There is a chap making seals for these, not sure if he's on here or AGF.. possibly both.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    I did see a piston seal for sale on eblag
    Gun control means using both hands.

Cheers Gents, I'll send a PM once I'm certain it's gone (although tbh it probably will be best to change it even if its not as a preemptive measure), just that Bolt to figure out now then, no extractor currently but I'm pondering trying to slot the oppisite end to where the head would be and winding it reverse style to get it out.
    Did warn the Old Man that if he does take it to remove it that theres a possibility of tesnion so to proceed with caution, the actual head side has wear to the bluing so not worried about anything marking it there as I'll be sorting it later when the guts are given a clean bill of health.

One thing I must admit, it's very different in weight to the Pistols I'm used to, even the Metal and 'real' weighted Airsoft ones it is noticably heavier than, however that's no bad thing as it feels well made and built to last, not bad going for a first proper pistol I think.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    I did see a piston seal for sale on eblag
    Would you have a link?
    Closest I got on there was an old Air Gun Magazine that featured the Deluxe model.

And now it won't cock.

Found the Breech seal was skirwiff and wondered if I was being daft with the no pressure so sorted it out and went to test it and on firing it must've not seated right or something, tried recocking and it did it after a couple of attempts but let go before I was able to close the breech even though the safety was on.
    After that no dice, even managed to snap shut on my hand while I was trying to look for anything visibly different.

AirGuns are supposed to be fun arent they?

Breech seal is on the list now as even though I can't tell if it leaks it's definately shrank enough that it does not stay in place for anything more than a light movement of the gun, acctually got the lower counterpart of the snapped bolt out to look at it, it's literally a smidge of threaded secton still holding it in place so if I can just move it a little it ought to be enough the open the compression chamber and get anything at risk out of the way.

So overnight I had a chat with a guy thats not only restored one but who is pretty much the first guide who comes up on google, the bolts failure was likely an attempt to remove it without a Sash clamp in place to take the tension off as yes that whole plate at the breech is under tension, theory on cocking could be simply the seer has become fouled.
    Parts with its washers/seals and that's your lot mate so Old Man or a turner will be required to make a new bolt (I'll show why off the shelf wont work), hopefully seer is indeed fould otherwise thats a patch up, measure and have made which won't be a cheap job if Old Man cant do it, I think springs are alright as it bit me a few times trying to get it to recock.

As I've been stuck awake I did also take the time to file a slot into the damaged bolts exposed side and hopefully later on I can get the sash clamp on and get things progressed, wish me luck lads.

PS, Paperworks got me pondering, I'll show you later why.

Tools have arrived however so has something nasty, had wicked acid to the point I vomited and backends not much better so it's paused for now to avoid anymore oops moments.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Would you have a link?
    Closest I got on there was an old Air Gun Magazine that featured the Deluxe model.
    Lookup a seller called happysadman3 ….sold 3 seals around £25 each…none currently listed though
    Gun control means using both hands.

good luck with it bud

hi ,sorry to jump in on your thread OP,i have a working Record jumbo on its way to me.i also would like to know if spare piston seals are available please,cheers greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

No worries, all Airgunners together so if something here helps you too then thats a good thing.
    Just sitting quietly at he moment though so will continue when feeling a bit better, have you found the Jimmie Dee teardown for it?
    If you need it let me know and I'll find the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    No worries, all Airgunners together so if something here helps you too then thats a good thing.
    Just sitting quietly at he moment though so will continue when feeling a bit better, have you found the Jimmie Dee teardown for it?
    If you need it let me know and I'll find the link.
    thanks for that,i am expecting its arrival next week and will assess it then.if needs be i dont mind giving it a full service providing i can get the parts,cheers greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!