Thread: Webley mk3 date question

Webley mk3 date question

Good evening all,

I have just acquired a Webley MK3 in .22 serial number B1756. Could anyone possibly help date this oldie for me please ? Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

Thrale's book says w/e 10.3.73 B1671-1860 All .22 calibre, assembled mainly by 'Dave'

Thank you,

That is very much appreciated. It is good to put a date to it and know a little bit behind it.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

You might already be aware of this but Webley moved to 'button' rifling in the late 1960s/early 1970s and this greatly improved the accuracy of the Mk3.

I have two of them and enjoy using both, sighted in at 25yds, with groups of some 3/4in possible from a rest. I find that Superdomes are the best with the MK3, which turns out approx 10ft/lbs.

Rgds
    A

That sounds interesting, what spring / setup etc are you using ? I would like to get this running nice and add a period scope if possible.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie_fn12 View Post
    That sounds interesting, what spring / setup etc are you using ? I would like to get this running nice and add a period scope if possible.

Kind regards

Dougie

Unfortunately, these rifles are not well suited for scopes unless you can provide an arrestor block via an engineering alteration. The scope rail is very poor and scope creep cannot be avoided; I have tried light and heavy scopes but it makes no difference. The rifles have to be used with the open sights which are not too bad. The alternative might be to fix a peep sight.

I am using the original springs, although I renewed one, which I bought from a collector of this site who had several unused ones from the factory. You might like to make a further post and ask if anyone has any unused Mk3 springs. It is surprising what some collectors possess. Otherwise, an alternative spring could be used and one or more collectors, here, are certain to know what is most suitable. It might even be possible to have one manufactured to the original specs (I think there is a permanent link at the top of the Collectors' posts, with spring specs for many air rifles). In any event, I would also try Protek in Bognor. They are very helpful and will assist.

Rgds
    A

Thank you Andrew,

I have seen that a couple of sites have different springs and also piston kits, I may have to order a couple of bits and use with the open sights. It is a lovely rifle and well built. It definitely deserves the attention to get it up and running to its true potential.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

Try Knibbs spares, Chambers and Welsh Willy.

Certainly worth rejuvenating it. Someone on this site quoted the owner of Weihrauch in the 2000s as saying that if he was at that time producing the MK3, he would have to charge some £750 for it.

However, take care with any unusual spring: they are only designed to do 9.5-10.5 ft/lb and too big a spring might reduce the power. I am sure others will guide you better than I can - there are many MK3 enthusiasts here.

A

Thanks Andrew,

Lower end of the power scale would be better. I will give those a try and see what I can get. I can imagine it will shoot lovely once everything is done. Are there any specific things you can suggest to work on with them? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie_fn12 View Post
    Thanks Andrew,

Lower end of the power scale would be better. I will give those a try and see what I can get. I can imagine it will shoot lovely once everything is done. Are there any specific things you can suggest to work on with them? Any guidance is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Not being a technical fellow, I would simply check all the obvious things: check the washer is ok and lubricate it overnight with neatsfoot compound (available from Protek), check the piston is ok and grease it very sparingly, clean the barrel whilst the rifle has been stripped but not with a wire brush. Others here will probably come up with further hints.