a) Target Shooting

b) Rabbit shooting

c) Short range ratting

Many thanks

Campbell

Dave. Guest
    JSB 4.51 or 4.52 for all three uses.

Many thanks.

Which JSB would you recommend for close up work.

Where do you get them from.

Campbell

Dave. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell
    Which JSB would you recommend for close up work.
    Where do you get them from.
    I'd test JSB 4.51 and 4.52 for accuracy then use whichever your gun prefers for everything, hunting, target shooting, plinking, etc. etc.
    No need to swap pellets for different uses.

Daystate pellets are identical to JSB, and Air Arms Field are very similar.
    Last edited by Dave.; 26-11-2005 at 01:34 PM.

Sorry - dont agree on the short range work - suggest a hollow point as have found my steyr over penetrates with JSB short to meduim range.

Hollows only good out to 20/25 after that they pear shaped.

Dont even think about taking the hollows out further - they take on the dynamics and accuracy of a house brick.

But they have great dropping power. You will have to get to know two trajectories though
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Also give the 4.53s a try. Best of the three sizes in my LG100

Hi Steyr & Pod

I am VERY new to hunting as I only got shooting rights in April 2005 and therefore you guys have probably forgotton more than I, as yet, have learned.

I am convinced that most of my shots with the Air Arms have over penetrated at 10 - 15 meters. The other day I used a H & N H point and, unless it was just a lucky shot, dropped a rat at about 10 meters like a brick.

I have also observed that the H points appear to be very inaccurate at 40 - 45 yards, so your posts confirm my observation. Thanks

Also, I have observed that some of my rabbit kills have been more instant at 45 - 55 yards, rather that 20 - 25 yards.

Pod, when you refer to 4.53, which make of pellet are you referring to? (And where can I get them from?)

I have come to the conclusion that I need 2 types of pellet, one for very short range and another for longer ranges.

If you have ANY advice regarding the use of my Steyr I will be very grateful to hear from you.

Campbell

Pod, when you refer to 4.53, which make of pellet are you referring to? (And where can I get them from?)

I have come to the conclusion that I need 2 types of pellet, one for very short range and another for longer ranges.
    Campbell
    Campbell, I was referring particularly to JSB Exacts. You could also try Daystate FT. JSB cab be obtained from www.airammo.co.uk. You should be able to get the Daystate FT from any decent gun shop, but if you can't then try www.airgunbuyer.com. When I was pellet testing, I got 20mm groups with JSB 4.51, very poor groups with 4.52 and 15mm groups with 4.53. Daystate 4.53 were marginally worse than the JSB 4.53 but very very similar. And since JSB are cheaper

I would try to not use two types of pellet. The zero points will be different and not just vertically, and it sounds like a recipe for confusion - but that is of course just my opinion.

Best possible thing you can do with the Steyr is get it serviced by the likes of Hydro Graphics or Harry Preston at Steyr UK. Don't know where you sourced yours from but they sometimes need a fettle to perform at their best. I had my LG100 serviced a couple of weeks ago. It is now giving a 4fps spread and although I haven't been able to test at any range beyond 30 yards yet, it is now (after 100 shots or so to re-lead the barrel) giving 5mm groups.

Good luck and happy spending

Pod

Many thanks

I bought mine from Targer Sports who bought the gun from Harry Preston and I intend that any servicing will be done by him.

I am VERY pleased with the gun but, as I have said before, I am having a problem with close range ratting.

What I have done is zero the gun with Air Arms at 45 yards. My intention is to have 2 pellet pouches, one with Air Arms, and the other with H points. The range of the rats at "close" range is 20 - 25 FEET and I will use the H points. The longer range is 40 yards and I will use the Air Arms. I get the impression that H points, every thing else being equal, are better for close range ratting.

I am going to to obtain some JSB exacts to try and if they are better I will use them instead of the Air Arms.

What do you think of the JSB pellets with the red plastic nose cone? (I can't remember the name of them)

Many thanks again,

Campbell

Would that be the
    Predator Polymer Tip Pellets

there's a picture of them here:
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/JSB%...ts%20Page.html

and some history of the JSBs here:
    http://www.citlink.net/~schattler/ar21.htm
    Last edited by Forth; 27-11-2005 at 09:09 PM.

It is easy to use two pellets - just produce two POI charts and laminate them.

I tend to use one type at a time - by that I mean, I will be going after short range quarry or med to long not both on the same hunt.

There should not be any difficulty in swapping from one brand to another so long as you estimate range and look at the correct memory card re POI.

In reality, I personally dont recommend it though as the two pellets fired in an alternating pattern may cause changes in the POI as the lead/antimony content, head size etc may differ.

You can of course test this out whilst practicing to see - never done it myself - so maybe a little test for the next session.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Forth

Yes, that is the pellet type i am referring to.

What do you know about the effectiveness when used for hunting at close range?

Thanks

Campbell

Steyr

Thanks for the most recent post.

I should have, perhaps, described my shoot. It is a small fishing lake and the rats tend to "congregate" (can't think of a better collective noun) in two places. One place is about 20 - 25 FEET away and the other is 40 - 45 yards away, across the water.

If a rat is at the shorter range, I hold under by about 1", if a rat is at the longer range, I hold on. Unfortunately, until I posted this thread, I did not know about the inaccuracy of H points at ranges beyond 20 yards, so my new problem will be to load the gun with the optimum pellet quickly!

Hopefully, I am going shooting late this afternoon and I am going to test the idea of using the 2 pellets.

What do know about the JSB Predator Polymer Tip Pellets?

Thanks again

Campbell

Steyr

Thanks for the most recent post.

I should have, perhaps, described my shoot. It is a small fishing lake and the rats tend to "congregate" (can't think of a better collective noun) in two places. One place is about 20 - 25 FEET away and the other is 40 - 45 yards away, across the water.

If a rat is at the shorter range, I hold under by about 1", if a rat is at the longer range, I hold on. Unfortunately, until I posted this thread, I did not know about the inaccuracy of H points at ranges beyond 20 yards, so my new problem will be to load the gun with the optimum pellet quickly!

Hopefully, I am going shooting late this afternoon and I am going to test the idea of using the 2 pellets.

What do know about the JSB Predator Polymer Tip Pellets?

Thanks again

Campbell

Campbell

I've shot rats at a range of 6 inches with a .177 (JSB Exact 4.53) - Yes the pellet goes straight through. It also does with a .22 and with a H Point pellet.

A hole through a rats brain is fatal!

Use the same pellet - don't bother with 2 types of pellets.

Practice shooting at a piece of paper at both ranges - Personally, I think you're missing the rats brain.

...One place is about 20 - 25 FEET away and the other is 40 - 45 yards away, across the water.
    If a rat is at the shorter range, I hold under by about 1", if a rat is at the longer range, I hold on.
    If you're zeroed at 45 yards, then at close range 20-25 feet (7-8 yards) you want to be aiming High - i.e. holding over, not holding under by an inch. - practice on paper before you shoot at live stuff and download a copy of chairgun to help you learn the trajectory.

Happy ratting
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian.Samson; 28-11-2005 at 08:20 AM.