Thread: Vintage British Pellets

Vintage British Pellets

I acquired a vintage British pellet box and was wondering is anyone could help in determining an approximate production date. What I found interesting is that the box is marked "British Empire" and I do not recall seeing that term on any other British pellets. The graphics are pretty cool though the colors are quite dull.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG]
    [/IMG]

These were probably manufactured when Britain observed a policy known as Imperial Preference in the '20s and '30s, in particular. In effect, at a time of large international tariffs, Britain simply became self sufficient and traded within the Empire, which possessed all the materials required for industry. Manufactures, for the most part, originated in Britain (before our industry was hollowed out!). Raw materials were sourced from the Empire and Britain was, at that time, entirely independent

Rgds
    A

Afternote: From recollection, it was the Ottawa Conference 1932 that introduced Imperial Preference as a formal policy, during the Great Depression, and this was at once implemented throughout the colonies and Dominions.
    Last edited by andrewM; 07-12-2023 at 12:08 PM.

very interesting

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l have not seen these before, but l would say that they where made in India as a guess.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...
    Yes very interesting …,I’m much too young to recall such things, I can only remember Bulldog, Marksman & Webley pellets from the early 70’s

I always felt that a box of Marksman in .22 was a valuable thing👍
    Not sure where I`m going.....But I`ll get there someday