Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell 3 replacement grips

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Nice job who ever did them, if you knew someone who has a 3D printer and a set of original grips to copy would be great. can you give me the se/no please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Are those grips real wood Baz? The chequering looks too perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

So presumably the chequering was done by machine?
    Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    lovely chequering,if done by hand the hand was very dextrous.nice neat pistols.

Many thanks for the kind words.
    I chequered that grip a few months back. From memory, the ( then ) owner made the grip himself and sent it to me for chequering.
    It was constructed in a few pieces, with visible joins which were impossible to conceal. I decided to wrap the chequering pattern completely around the edges and made a feature of the joinery by converting it into a border.

Those photographs are just as the layout was finished, prior to final pointing up of the diamonds.
    I'd never seen one of these Tell pistols before I worked on this one but I think it's one of the prettiest air pistols ever made.

Very best, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

very nice indeed,thanks for the pictures and explanation of your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck25 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

Reunited after leaving the production line - 49 & 50 meet up again. No plating on mine.
    Bruce Jr.
    If only we knew their stories after being separated on leaving the production line.

Brian

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I chequered that grip a few months back. From memory, the ( then ) owner made the grip himself and sent it to me for chequering.
    It was constructed in a few pieces, with visible joins which were impossible to conceal. I decided to wrap the chequering pattern completely around the edges and made a feature of the joinery by converting it into a border.

Those photographs are just as the layout was finished, prior to final pointing up of the diamonds.
    I'd never seen one of these Tell pistols before I worked on this one but I think it's one of the prettiest air pistols ever made.

Very best, Craig
    What a excellent job, you are so lucky to have the talent to do such a job, along with being an excellent gunsmith, along with some of our other members on here.

Thumbs up

Top shotgun grade work there, in some respects too good for an airgun. What a rare skill you have Craig.

That is very special. Thanks for the detailed pics, might try that on one of my Tells. But without that awesome checkering!!!

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    As someone who has done a bit of amateur chequering, and not particularly well, I know how difficult it is and how much patience it demands. I can only have great admiration for your work, Craig.

Cheers
    John

Thank you all for your kind words, very much appreciated.
    Mostly I work on modern guns but should I get any more of the older air rifles or pistols in, I'll add photographs on here for any who are interested.
    Some of the Webley fans may be interested in these; I 'sporterised' a couple of Webley MK3 stocks for a good mate and myself a while back -
    I added red recoil pads, capped the grips and reshaped the butt sections, before oil finishing and fine chequering them to 28lpi with an English / Mullered border.
    Whilst the work may not agree with purist collectors, I was very happy with how they turned out.

Best, Craig

Truly awesome work, Craig. outstanding!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

those two look smashing,i have a chequering tool here and have had a go,it wasn't successful

[QUOTE=Craig-P;8270555]Many thanks for the kind words.

Thanks for the info Craig, lovely work. I see the chip was missing off the left grip at an early stage.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;8270707]
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post

Thanks for the info Craig, lovely work. I see the chip was missing off the left grip at an early stage.

Baz
    Yes mate - they were quite thin in areas and I think the creator may have had a minor dropping accident...

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    I love the checkering on the those mark 3s, it also makes for a much better grip, but sadly not the red butt ends for me.

That really is what the Tell 3 should have been.

Anybody had any success getting the adjuster screw that can be accessed through the top of the pistol to give a heavier trigger pull ? Trigger much too light at the moment and sear not safely engaging.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD