Thread: Webley Tins - Round - Green and Orange.

Webley Tins - Round - Green and Orange.

Green - 0.177
    Orange - 0.22

That's correct ???

I vaguely remember someone on here saying there is a orange 0.177 to be found.
    What size quantity tins are they ???

I always thought I had one , couldn't find it for quite some time until today.

Thoughts / comments ?????

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post

Green - 0.177
    Orange - 0.22

That's correct ???

Sam

Hi Sam

I left a couple of Webley tins at work in my cupboard when I left, There was one of each colour from memory, Probably got left in the cupboard as I used to take a rifle in on nightshift and sort the pigeons out as the maintainace were fed up of getting pigeon poop all over them when they were working on the cranes!!

Can't recall what calibres they were though!

john.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post

Green - 0.177
    Orange - 0.22

That's correct ???

Sam
    Generally yes, but orange .177 tins of 200 and 500 are known, albeit they are scarce.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

i remember them well

Here is a photo of the two extremely rare round, orange sectored tins which should conventionally hold .22 pellets but are marked and actually contain .177 pellets.

I am also aware of at least one example of a pre-war, oblong orange tin marked and containing .177 pellets.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 09-12-2023 at 03:40 PM.

I have a full orange tin of these Webley .177 pellets and 3 full green tins of .22's; all 500's.

A friend acquired about 20 or 30 of these tins of pellets, assorted, many years ago when a local firearms dealer had a bad water leak at his shop, and many dozens of tins suffered water damage and were sold off at a bit less than half price. I bought these four tins off him. The contents however were perfectly ok although the tins showed minor evidence of slight discoloration in places.

Remarkably all four tins still contain the circular paper gift vouchers which you could send off to Webley to claim a badge.

"Send 4 Vouchers with a P.O. for 20p and a stamped addressed envelope to obtain a handsome chrome plated and enamel Webley Marksman Badge".

It would be interesting to know if anyone actually has one of these badges. I am not sure of the vintage of these tins but I think my friend made this purchase maybe 30+ years ago.

Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

I am also aware of at least one example of a pre-war, oblong orange tin marked and containing .177 pellets.

Brian
    Are those tins pre-war? I thought they were used up to the move from Weaman Street and were still available at some dealers for a few years after?
    Always wanting Webley or BSA scorpion pistols or bits. Got the minters, now need scrappers, projects or parts WHY please

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Are those tins pre-war? I thought they were used up to the move from Weaman Street and were still available at some dealers for a few years after?
    They certainly first appeared before the war as evidenced by the reference to “Rifle” rather than “Rifles” on the lid as the Mk2 Service was the only air rifle Webley produced before the outbreak of the war. No doubt some were still distributed immediately after the war when due to material shortages Webley briefly returned to selling pellets in cardboard packaging before returning to the hinged, oblong tins. Some of these early post-war tins contained pellets of a different calibre to that indicated on the lid and were annotated accordingly by means of stickers denoting the actual calibre of the contents.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 10-12-2023 at 09:26 AM.