Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos From Kempton Arms Fair - Dec 2023

Photos From Kempton Arms Fair - Dec 2023

I think I say this every time but I believe today's fair was the biggest and best yet.

The show was packed from the moment the doors opened and there were many rarities to bag and bargains to be had. The great thing to see was plenty of airguns changing hands and money being spent.

There were so many highlights that it is hard to know where to begin. So, in no particular order, here we go:

Two of the first air rifles I was shown were a pair of BSA Sporting .22s from 1912-14. One had a straight hand stock and the other was fitted with a BSA No. 21a aperture sight. Both also had their correct open sights and were competitively priced. I was later shown a late Improved Model B with a barleycorn rather than bead front sight, which is an uncommon option that had to be requested at the time of purchase.

The fair was a great one if you collect Webley air pistols, as will be seen from the photos I have linked below. There were classics ranging from a double spring clip Mk1 to a 1960s Webley custom cased Premier. Both were accompanied by original manuals/paperwork. Tim Dyson also had a superb Don Blocksidge engraved and plated Webley Senior that was absolutely stunning.

Speaking of Tim, he also showed me a boxed Targaire pistol, which was the first such pistol I had ever seen.

Tim sold a factory cased 1950s Webley Senior at the fair, which I am pleased about as that particular set has been tempting me for some time.

There were Sussex Armoury Jackals galore, along with later Air Arms models. I was tempted by one or two of these, as well as a 1960s Diana display stand but ended up being strong and resisting temptation as I had spent enough money at the show that any more would have resulted in more than just annoying looks from long suffering Josie. They say you regret the guns you don't buy rather than those you overpay on and just a couple of hours after the fair, I'm starting to feel the pangs of regret already!

A huge thank you to Peter, Liz and Fay Binfield, together with their incredibly efficient and friendly team that make it all look easy, which I know it is not.

I don't often leave a fair thinking I've bought enough airguns for one day but this was such an occasion. How can one ever have enough - what was I thinking?

Anyway, enjoy the snaps below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kiSwaB1jRfVkaMEn7

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thank you for your pictures. Amazing.
    Michael
    Too many Airguns and Pistols
    Beretta 682 Sporter, and Skeet

Wow like going to a museum!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Wow like going to a museum!
    ...and being able to handle and buy the exhibits!
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Kempton

Wonderful pics yet again. Nice to see JB doing a little abit of modelling with a BSA. Mach 1.5

Thanks John, wonderful photos. There was definitely more news stuff there, than ever before.

Nice to see you John and congrats on your purchases.
    Someone said they saw one of the Target versions of the Giffard rifle there which I missed, anyone see that?

Some great stuff on sale, thanks to Liz & Peter.

Cheers,
    Matt

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Awesome day, great to meet up with so many from our community, and very grateful to the Binfields clan for organising such a slick event
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Nice to see you John and congrats on your purchases.
    Someone said they saw one of the Target versions of the Giffard rifle there which I missed, anyone see that?

Some great stuff on sale, thanks to Liz & Peter.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I didn't see that Giffard but would have liked to.

There was so much there I didn't photograph!

Some fantastic pictures--thank you for sharing. I look forward to seeing photos of the arms fair as it does bring back memories when I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 1978-1982.

Excellent quality photos as I could easily zoom in on the Targ-Aire serial number, another new number for my listing. The Targ-Aire box was in really nice shape and had the original paper label which is rarely in such nice condition. There is also another paper label on the end of the box which is typically gone. The condition of the original yellow instruction tag is very typical with the flaking off of the yellow covering. If you see a darker yellow instruction tag that does not have the flaking, it is usually a repro.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think I say this every time but I believe today's fair was the biggest and best yet.

The show was packed from the moment the doors opened and there were many rarities to bag and bargains to be had. The great thing to see was plenty of airguns changing hands and money being spent.

There were so many highlights that it is hard to know where to begin. So, in no particular order, here we go:

Two of the first air rifles I was shown were a pair of BSA Sporting .22s from 1912-14. One had a straight hand stock and the other was fitted with a BSA No. 21a aperture sight. Both also had their correct open sights and were competitively priced. I was later shown a late Improved Model B with a barleycorn rather than bead front sight, which is an uncommon option that had to be requested at the time of purchase.

The fair was a great one if you collect Webley air pistols, as will be seen from the photos I have linked below. There were classics ranging from a double spring clip Mk1 to a 1960s Webley custom cased Premier. Both were accompanied by original manuals/paperwork. Tim Dyson also had a superb Don Blocksidge engraved and plated Webley Senior that was absolutely stunning.

Speaking of Tim, he also showed me a boxed Targaire pistol, which was the first such pistol I had ever seen.

Tim sold a factory cased 1950s Webley Senior at the fair, which I am pleased about as that particular set has been tempting me for some time.

There were Sussex Armoury Jackals galore, along with later Air Arms models. I was tempted by one or two of these, as well as a 1960s Diana display stand but ended up being strong and resisting temptation as I had spent enough money at the show that any more would have resulted in more than just annoying looks from long suffering Josie. They say you regret the guns you don't buy rather than those you overpay on and just a couple of hours after the fair, I'm starting to feel the pangs of regret already!

A huge thank you to Peter, Liz and Fay Binfield, together with their incredibly efficient and friendly team that make it all look easy, which I know it is not.

I don't often leave a fair thinking I've bought enough airguns for one day but this was such an occasion. How can one ever have enough - what was I thinking?

Anyway, enjoy the snaps below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kiSwaB1jRfVkaMEn7

John
    Thanks for the excellent pics John.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks for the excellent pics John.
    You are most welcome Danny.

It goes without saying that you are welcome to use them all or any you choose for the gallery.

Kind regards,

John

Wish I was there. Was that the spring clip Webley you mentioned the other day, John?

kempton

thanks for the pics, an awful lot of effort must have gone in organizing such an event,

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Once again, thank you John for sharing your pictures it's most appreciated by those of us unable to make the fair...👍