Thread: Hello and Webley Senior problem.

Hello and Webley Senior problem.

Hi all. My first post here. My Webley Senior fired well when I first acquired it a few years ago. I recently tried it after not touching it for a couple of years. It seems to have not much power. Couldn’t hit anything at usual distances. Fired at the shed up close and couldn’t even see pellet fire. Now I find the barrel is jumping up on fire, and a pellet was hanging out the end of the barrel.
    Question: can anyone diagnose the problem and possibly suggest solution/new parts to purchase etc
    The gun has “Birmingham 4” stamped (pre late 1950s ?)
    The pellets I was using are RWS Meisterkugeln .177 flat head. They seem a loose fit.
    Thanks in advance. Al

Assuming it wasn't left cocked I doubt it's the spring to blame.
    Those pistols have a split ring metal piston seal - I wonder if the problem is just old grease that's hardened and is slowing the piston in its flight, in which case try squiring a SMALL amount of WD40 or other releasing agent at the end of the piston nearest the back of the pistol when it's uncocked.
    The barrel popping up thing I have no idea, unless the barrel retaining styrup plunger is similarly sticky?

Rev, is your barrel catch disengaging of firing ? You say the barrel is jumping up on firing. This can be a common fault with worn parts. The barrel jumps out of line with the air transfer port and very little air pressure gets down the barrel to push the pellet out. Also check the barrel seal is in place and not worn.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Barrel seal still in place and the barrel is clear? (ie not blocked by previous pellets?).

Replace the breech seal with a modern rubber one. Won't cost a lot and will make a big difference.

There is an 'oil' marking by the slot in the cylinder where the piston lives. Put half a dozen drops of thick engine motor oil in there and work the barrel up and down to allow it to spread in the cylinder. Do not use thin oil such as 3 in 1

Leave your tin of WD40 in the place where it normally resides. DO NOT use it on the internal working parts of the gun

My guess is the power is down because the cylinder has run dry of oil. The leather breech washer has become hard and distorted with age and that is preventing the barrel latch from holding the barrel down.

Seen these problems many times
    Always wanting Webley or BSA scorpion pistols or bits. Got the minters, now need scrappers, projects or parts WHY please

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    As well as the above, do check if there is anything obstructing the transfer port. I embarrassingly managed to get a fragment of kitchen towel in there while cleaning one once, with much the same effect as you're having, took a little figuring out.
    Good deals with these members

WD40 - won't do it any harm, but 1st check you do have the split ring metal piston seal (you'll be able to see it).

Many thanks to all the above, chaps.
    Most appreciated. I can confirm the gun was not put away cocked. The barrel is unobstructed. Leather barrel seal IS in place but dry (I oiled it).
    I’ll check and oil as suggested above.
    Many thanks
    Al

Hi ex W & S head service dept. technician for 10 years; I'd guess with the gun being stored for so long, the barrel has crushed the leather breech seal; this means there's no ''friction'' there to hold the barrel in place. Maybe a little oil on the breech seal will rejuvenate it, but don't put the barrel into the breech block, you need to allow the washer to expand. Alternatively fit a 'rubber' seal and this will help a lot. Some lube in the cylinder with a good quality medium oil or if you want to spend a little; Abbey gun lube which has a graphite content would help a lot, but the gun isn't that powerful, so don't flood it, you'll just end up squirting stuff out of the barrel. Ref the barrel stirrup, just check it moves freely and the plunger is moving to operate it.