Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A journey in ebony

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Very nice job Steve, it looks so much better with it's new grips. and a good idear with those inserts glued on.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Very nice quality work Steve, understated and in keeping with the character of the gun. But you've just got to remove that tag!
    I think your right the tag needs to go.

Free at last!

Last edited by 45flint; 20-12-2023 at 02:05 AM.

Grips

I don't often comment on this site but I must say those grips look so, so good!
    costalot

Nice job Steve.👍 Given the condition, maybe when Beeman had the pistol he removed the grips to have them copied for another WR he had and they never got refitted ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Nice job Steve.�� Given the condition, maybe when Beeman had the pistol he removed the grips to have them copied for another WR he had and they never got refitted ?
    Shows he had too many guns! Probably never really paid such attention to these given his high end stuff? But I too have some pieces and parts laying around that will go missing when the music stops? Actually was a bit of a blessing besides price, I would never have undertaken this project if it had its grips. At this point doubt I would put them on if I had them, these are the grips this pistol should have had. Have a donor pistol available but going to sell it now with its original grips. Be interesting to price this pistol with the ebony. The horn grips compete the vulcanite grips were really pretty poor?
    Last edited by 45flint; 20-12-2023 at 02:27 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Steve,
    As suggested to me by a fellow collector, this could be your gun, as pictured in an article by Robert Beeman in the first edition of Air Gun Digest (1977, page 228). The 'whiting in' of the lettering is evident, but unfortunately the poor quality of the original image means that no details of the grips can be made out. This would have been before he started to tag his guns.

Steve,
    As suggested to me by a fellow collector, this could be your gun, as pictured in an article by Robert Beeman in the first edition of Air Gun Digest (1977, page 228). The 'whiting in' of the lettering is evident, but unfortunately the poor quality of the original image means that no details of the grips can be made out. This would have been before he started to tag his guns.

Bet you are right? I can actual see just a little of the grip looks like a standard grip to me. Maybe another tell is the rear sight when I got it was totally down just like the picture. Had to move it higher to shoot it. Only one of his 4 that I have with the whiting and the whiting certainly looks old. Does continue add to the mystery of where these grips are! I am also wondering if these 4 were the only ones he had? He could very well have lent them to another collector to copy as mentioned above, and never got them back? Given the pistol’s condition they probably were pristine and good ones to copy.

Thanks much for the info, can get a copy of the book pretty cheap off the bay adds to the history of the pistol
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-12-2023 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Bet you are right? I can actual see just a little of the grip looks like a standard grip to me. Maybe another tell is the rear sight when I got it was totally down just like the picture. Had to move it higher to shoot it. Only one of his 4 that I have with the whiting and the whiting certainly looks old. Does continue add to the mystery of where these grips are! I am also wondering if these 4 were the only ones he had? He could very well have lent them to another collector to copy as mentioned above, and never got them back? Given the pistol’s condition they probably were pristine and good ones to copy.

Thanks much for the info, can get a copy of the book pretty cheap off the bay adds to the history of the pistol
    Steve these grips in ebony are superb and even better than the originals. I think they could do with fine diamond chequering similar to the original if you can find a craftsman of a skill equal to Craig-P of ISP in the UK, whose work is astonishingly good:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Steve these grips in ebony are superb and even better than the originals. I think they could do with fine diamond chequering similar to the original if you can find a craftsman of a skill equal to Craig-P of ISP in the UK, whose work is astonishingly good:

I think you could be right but my goal was to reproduce the horn grips with the ebony? Those horn grips were smooth and the surface looks so similar to the ebony? Also I think this is the classic case where less is more. The Tell 3 is a Luger look-alike, so look is almost necessary. On my ebony grips the feathering curve at the end of the grip might be lost. Not easy to see in pics but is so cool. I like the way it flows with a smooth grip and its very WRHP?

Last edited by 45flint; 22-12-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Yes, I see what you're saying. I love the matt look of the ebony. Very classy!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Interestingly neither the horn grips or vulcanite grips of the Highest Possible ever covered the whole of the grip frame. Having seen your grips in place, I wonder why?, as yours are a distinct improvement cosmetically.

Interestingly neither the horn grips or vulcanite grips of the Highest Possible ever covered the whole of the grip frame. Having seen your grips in place, I wonder why?, as yours are a distinct improvement cosmetically.
    I think thats pretty simple: cost. I did it because the grip is so narrow for such a large pistol and I wanted to maximize the grip. I knew when I did it I would have to carefully hand fit the edge to follow that bevel, takes a lot of time. If you are manufacturing something you want to make sure you are back far enough that any slop will not go over the edge. In looking at many examples the horn grips get the closest to the edge, made a little more exacting. The vulcanite grips were really made so almost any imperfection would still work. Below is a picture of my number 1114 toward the end of production. The grips are numbered 1114 as well so they are original. The inner spacer is so far off that the grip is almost off the left edge. Grip is just not centered. The second picture is the other side which is much better. I think it’s called trying to make a profit? I know for a collector you want it all original but if I had the original grips they would be in the case not on the pistol.

Last edited by 45flint; 23-12-2023 at 11:49 AM.