Thread: Webley Mk3 deluxe version

Webley Mk3 deluxe version

Perusing sales at Holts, I noticed this Mk3 deluxe version, which I did not know existed. This might be one for Garvin, unless he already has one on his website:

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...189871&image=8

It was a 1974 model, in excellent condition, and sold fro £640, I think it was.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Perusing sales at Holts, I noticed this Mk3 deluxe version, which I did not know existed. This might be one for Garvin, unless he already has one on his website:

It was a 1974 model, in excellent condition, and sold fro £640, I think it was.

Rgds
    A

I notice the chequering is different from that in Thrale's book.....did Webley have different options?

It's possible the gun was chequered post sale. Or a special request, pre sale; or returned to the factory for extra work. It was indeed made week ending 02-11-1974; by John. Part of batch B9141-9150. That week given Saturday morning was included as part of a normal working week, the gun was in batch 36 of 37. This is one of the most prolific production weeks of the MKIII; guns were made in batches of 10's for ease of recording and wages which were piece work at that time. So 370 MKIII's were made that week. To do this, Webley would have drawn in workers from other sections, as the normal production unit was 4 men.
    I was head service dept technician at that time, so have some insight; but not full time contact with each department so can't be sure who would have maybe chequered it if it was in house.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    It's possible the gun was chequered post sale. Or a special request, pre sale; or returned to the factory for extra work. It was indeed made week ending 02-11-1974; by John. Part of batch B9141-9150. That week given Saturday morning was included as part of a normal working week, the gun was in batch 36 of 37. This is one of the most prolific production weeks of the MKIII; guns were made in batches of 10's for ease of recording and wages which were piece work at that time. So 370 MKIII's were made that week. To do this, Webley would have drawn in workers from other sections, as the normal production unit was 4 men.
    I was head service dept technician at that time, so have some insight; but not full time contact with each department so can't be sure who would have maybe chequered it if it was in house.

It is sheer quality, with a magnificent stock, blueing and chequering - perhaps the best I have seen. One or two questions come to mind:

1 Is it known how many Mk3s were produced from the late 1940s to 1975, when production ceased, and how many of these were exported, do you know?

2 Why did Webley move from a B registration straight across to F, which it did, probably in late 1974 - 1975? What was the approx production per week in those days?

3 Was any accuracy testing carried out before each rifle left the factory and what did this involve and at what range?

4 I think you have touched on the loading-tap alignment before. Was the fitting process fool-proof, without any clipping possible, as the pellet transferred from the tap to the barrel upon firing?

Rgds
    A

that looks nice