Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holts unsold lots

Thanks chaps, couple of juniors appealed at sensible money but they were post war so probably a no go- £40 post sounds pretty extortionate and will make a reasonably priced item no cheaper than buying from a trusted source on here.

For about £10 they will take your purchases to one of their valuation days where you can then collect them. They have valuation days all around the country so that's always worth a look

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Their post charge seems to have gone up greatly. I bought an age-exempt air pistol recently (so can be sent direct) and they charged £40 delivery. Which is taking the p** more than a little. I know they have time and materials cost to pack etc, but given the contract courier rates they’d pay TNT/Parcel Force etc, they are profiteering from that as well.
    I was quoted £48 for a Gat pistol recently by a auction house, and wait for it, £96 for a air rifle to be collected and packed by Jentel.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    No less than four Warrior air pistols! £260 seems average or below for one of those, I was tempted for a moment but didnt.
    I sold my old one years ago & wish i hadnt, It was No 2182 rather battered but if anyone finds it i would be interested in buying it back.

I used to get my guns from Holts as getting them down to Somerset from Norfolk worked quite well. Not so now as they don't operate the picking up from valuation day in the West Country. Not only is there there the £40 rfd transfer there will be the charge from were you are having it sent too.
    It's not a problem if you're forking out for an expensive gun but as I used to only buy doer uppers it would put a big wedge on top, so until Holys sort that out I won't be getting anything from them again.....dom

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Their post charge seems to have gone up greatly. I bought an age-exempt air pistol recently (so can be sent direct) and they charged £40 delivery. Which is taking the p** more than a little. I know they have time and materials cost to pack etc, but given the contract courier rates they’d pay TNT/Parcel Force etc, they are profiteering from that as well.
    That's outrageous, Ash!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    For about £10 they will take your purchases to one of their valuation days where you can then collect them. They have valuation days all around the country so that's always worth a look
    They stopped offering that about 4 years ago, good news if they’ve started again.
    I’ve used it before as one of their valuation locations is next to one of my gunclubs… they use lots of different places nationwide and it is a handy option if you’re anywhere near one.

I’ll bear that in mind in the future.

Cheers for the info,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    They stopped offering that about 4 years ago, good news if they’ve started again.
    I’ve used it before as one of their valuation locations is next to one of my gunclubs… they use lots of different places nationwide and it is a handy option if you’re anywhere near one.

Cheers for the info,
    Matt
    Yes they have started again. We used to drive to Holt's as a bit of a day out, but with kids now it's not really possible. We got a couple of bits in the last auction and are collecting them from a valuation day in the new year

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

Cheers for the info,
    Matt
    Yep just organised it for some other stuff I’ve bought to collect from their valuation day on the 10th Jan - as mentioned already it is £10 for this service.

Just bagged myself a Daystate Wolverine B in .22 FAC for £520