Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns I wish I had bought....

[QUOTE=JOHN K;8272456][QUOTE=Lumberjack
    Ahhh that would of been the Benjamin 347.. i have a couple of these & the 342 both great little guns..[/QUOTE]

Cheers John. Every day is a school day. Yep it was nice, and no discernible recoil which was a novelty for me.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Is the Longbow over 12ft lbs? I once saw an article or advert claiming it was the most powerful break barrel in production? My memory is not what it once was but Im pretty sure it was the Longbow.... never seen one for real.
    You are probably thinking about the Webley Patriot ,a break barrel springer Fac rifle.
    26-28 fb in .22 and a bit more in.25 cal.
    Always fancied one of those myself.
    Les..

Two of my biggest regrets on not pulling the so called trigger at the time

1) Air Arms Pro Elite argggggh eluded me ever since…missed loads of them when they couldn’t give them away as I thought meh at the time

2) BSA Buccaneer/Trooper overlooked them for years as I’ve never really liked beeza break barrels missed out on a fair few over the years especially when they were fairly reasonably priced as per the Pro elite thinking meh at the time.

Even so I still wouldn’t pay daft money today for either but I still would like to experience both of them isn’t nostalgia a bugger eh?

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs down

worst buy has to be the original gat gun from the 90s, what a retarded pop gun!
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

1. Pretty mucch anything Venom or Airmasters.
    2. WBPS Marauder.
    3. Streatham Armoury custom Omega.
    4. Bowkett stuff.
    5. Whiscombe.
    6. Webley Tomahawk in walnut with LW barrel and Venom short-stroke tune.
    7. Most Walther, HW, FWB Tyroleans.
    8. Tyrolean Tracker.
    9. Milbro Cougar.
    10. Gat “rifle”.

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    You are probably thinking about the Webley Patriot ,a break barrel springer Fac rifle.
    26-28 fb in .22 and a bit more in.25 cal.
    Always fancied one of those myself.
    Les..
    Les you are right of course! I'm not sure what the Patriot was like to shoot but I am sure it must have been fun! I have now googled the Longbow and of course they are different, I think I now want both!

Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    worst buy has to be the original gat gun from the 90s, what a retarded pop gun!
    Amen to that! I briefly owned a Diana model 2, beautifully made and finished but...functionally worthless. Gats are highly collectible, but beyond that the appeal of such hard-to-cock, inaccurate, velocity-less-than-I-can-throw-a-pellet devices escapes me.

I have more the opposite problem...I've owned pretty much every airgun that ever appealed to me...but then sold at least a dozen I'd like to have back, sigh. One exception is a good SSP match rifle though, have passed on several that seemed too pricey at the time but now look like bargains.

Webley

Longbow - 12 ft lbs. Tomahawk - 21 ft lbs. Patriot - 24 ft lbs. The Tommy was a better rifle at FAC level than the Patriot and had a far better trigger. Mach 1.5

Just remembered...

When they were current, was very tempted by the Walther LGU & V, but due to an arm problem at the time was put off by the weight.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A BSF S54 Bayern, one of my Dads yacht club mates bought it, he was addicted to fruit machines & a couple of years later offered it to me for just £30 it was absolutely mint. I was skint & didnt buy it. Kicked myself afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Amen to that! I briefly owned a Diana model 2, beautifully made and finished but...functionally worthless. Gats are highly collectible, but beyond that the appeal of such hard-to-cock, inaccurate, velocity-less-than-I-can-throw-a-pellet devices escapes me.

I have more the opposite problem...I've owned pretty much every airgun that ever appealed to me...but then sold at least a dozen I'd like to have back, sigh. One exception is a good SSP match rifle though, have passed on several that seemed too pricey at the time but now look like bargains.
    Ditto to that, Mike. Just some of the airguns I wish I hadn't sold: Crosman 118, Crosman 107, Crosman 167 (one of each variant), Feinwerkbau 110, Feinwerkbau 127, Tell 3 (serial no. 22), small frame Hubertus (sold for $125 in '93 when I didn't know its rarity), BSA Model D Ladies Model, late model Britannia, a Kurbelspanner pistol w/original crank (exact gun on pg. 400 of 2nd Edition of John Griffiths' book, top right photo), Brown Pneumatic (sold to the late, great airgun collector Keith Bayliss. I wonder who inherited it?), and a pre-war Japanese millita that had a very detailed geisha version of Diana holding up her airgun and tossing down her bow and arrows (please PM me if you have or seen one). Maybe I'll start a separate thread on seller's remorse, unless it's already been done.

My biggest regret is not buying a Webley MK I rifle with beautiful wood when I had the chance. A friend of mine found it at a San Francisco gun show back in the mid '80s for around $100. When he offered it to me for $600, I balked, and someone else snatched it up.
    Last edited by PaulK62; 20-12-2023 at 10:53 PM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    About 35 years ago, when I had only been into collecting for a short time, I spotted one of these at Birmingham Arms Fair. No one knew what it was and I was very tempted to buy it as the price was very reasonable (about £150 as I recall). Unfortunately I had limited cash, and there were a couple of other more pressing things to buy, one of which was an Abas pistol, so I had to leave it . A few years later I researched exactly what it was, and I spent the following years kicking myself that I didn't snap it up when I had the opportunity.

There is a happy ending to this story though. After a very long wait, another one did turn up, and as at the time its identity was not generally known, I managed to buy it at still reasonable (though higher) price. So the moral is, never give up hope, but expect to have to dig a bit deeper into your pockets.

For me it have been not buying a prototype Brocock Rhino 3 shot bolt action air cartridge rifle from Bedford arms fair. This was just before the ban. I could have put it on my FAC and over time sorted out some of it's issues like the barrel & magazine feed.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Hi Mike,

Gats and Gat type airguns were a right of passage back in the day and I must admit I miss seeing them in sports shops and general goods stores.

I have a very fond recollection of the first shots I took with a chrome plated Gat, using darts. When they embedded themselves into a wooden board, that was it; I was smitten. Accuracy was not at the forefront of my thoughts but the arm I had in my hands resulted in my Lone Star and Crescent cap pistols being consigned to the back of the toy cupboard. Wish I'd looked after the cap guns a bit better now though as some would be worth serious money!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Collector View Post
    For me it have been not buying a prototype Brocock Rhino 3 shot bolt action air cartridge rifle from Bedford arms fair. This was just before the ban. I could have put it on my FAC and over time sorted out some of it's issues like the barrel & magazine feed.
    Well that's a new one to me!!
    Time for some research,