Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns I wish I had bought....

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Not buying a Whiscombe, what an investment that would have been. also a Haenel model 50 pistol, but it was part of a job lot and l didn't wont the other 2 guns that came with it doh.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Mike,

Gats and Gat type airguns were a right of passage back in the day and I must admit I miss seeing them in sports shops and general goods stores.

I have a very fond recollection of the first shots I took with a chrome plated Gat, using darts. When they embedded themselves into a wooden board, that was it; I was smitten. Accuracy was not at the forefront of my thoughts but the arm I had in my hands resulted in my Lone Star and Crescent cap pistols being consigned to the back of the toy cupboard. Wish I'd looked after the cap guns a bit better now though as some would be worth serious money!

John
    Yes where would most of us be in the collecting world, if it was not for the dear old Gat. as l bet it was the first airgun most of us owned.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    About 35 years ago, when I had only been into collecting for a short time, I spotted one of these at Birmingham Arms Fair. No one knew what it was and I was very tempted to buy it as the price was very reasonable (about £150 as I recall). Unfortunately I had limited cash, and there were a couple of other more pressing things to buy, one of which was an Abas pistol, so I had to leave it . A few years later I researched exactly what it was, and I spent the following years kicking myself that I didn't snap it up when I had the opportunity.

There is a happy ending to this story though. After a very long wait, another one did turn up, and as at the time its identity was not generally known, I managed to buy it at still reasonable (though higher) price. So the moral is, never give up hope, but expect to have to dig a bit deeper into your pockets.
    Hi John,yes l think l would have passed it by as well, as l had not long started collecting then ether. no computer in them days, and only discovered that there was books on the subject by going into book shops looking at bird books that l was interested in, and noticed them next to each other. and to think that at that price, it was about the same price as a good Webley Service. we live and learn, which we are still doing.

In view of the earlier posts in this thread this may sound a little obscure but by the age of 16 I had moved on to owning a ribbed stocked Webley mk3 from a Diana mod2 Gat at 12 to a Diana mod16 at about 13 to a BSA Cadet Major at 15 and then the mk3.

A school friend who needed cash towards a new bike offered me a pre-war BSA underlever (not sure which model) which was originally his Dad's for 30/- (£1.50) but compared to my mk3 it looked absolute rubbish although it seemed it had been well looked after. I declined to buy it!

It was only after the '97 handgun ban when I started collecting that I realised the sort of money these old BSA's were fetching and often difficult to acquire one in good condition. I still have that mk3 - and many others now - but have always looked after my guns so that BSA would still be looking good if I had bought it and I really regret not doing so sixty five years ago. Hind-sight is a marvellous thing!

Aubrey

Too much wasted energy with what ifs? I find its best to keep a short memory and know there is always a better one coming. Also throughly enjoy the latest before moving on.

I was offered a MK1 Airsporter mint still in the box for £2 if I HAD bought it I know for a fact it wouldnt have stayed that way for long as in those days things were different (would probably have shot the box up soon as I got it ) would have ended up rusty in the shed with all the others after a few rattin trips
    that would have been 67-8 0r something like that !! funny I wrap them up in cotton wool almost nowadays