Thread: Damping Grease for tap-loaders

Damping Grease for tap-loaders

Readers might be interested in the thread on the General section currently: https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...d-Hand-Fitting

This - see page 3 in particular - relates to the various grease that can be bought to reduce escaping air from tap-loaders. Today, I sought the thoughts of the manufacturer of the grease and described to him the mechanics of a tap-loader in an air rifle. He has helpfully replied as follows:

"Thanks for getting in contact. My name is Pete, I'm one of the tech help/product support contacts here. Firstly, we are not dispatching any orders until the New Year, sorry if that inconveniences you.

The stiffness of the grease required will partly be determined by how forceful the air is....can it break through the layer of grease? Most important factors will be of course the stiffness of the grease but also the thickness of the layer. I'm sure you have considered this so probably stating the obvious.

I'm probably not going to get my product selection right the first time. It's nearly always the case with damping grease type applications that there is a trial and error process....even when I get all kinds of data and diagrams from prospective customers.

I would expect that the lightest grease (320 Clear) but cleaning the grease off can be tricky, the lightest grease probably being the easiest to clean off if you have to move up in stiffness/viscosity grades.

The grease should not harden over time and the stiffness/characteristics of the grease should not be changed much by temperatures....for sure though, the higher the temperatures the more chance the grease will get a bit softer, so if you are worried about the grease going hard in hot weather then no, you'll be fine. With synthetic grease (just like mineral oil based grease), all the products get a little stiffer in the cold and a little softer in the heat, but the changes with synthetic grease is not dramatic, unlike with a mineral oil based grease which will change a lot with temperature extremes.

The best I can suggest is that you purchase the trial pack, but (without postage), that's £25 so I appreciate it is not cheap for a private user or hobby user. In the trial pack you get about 15grams of each product in the Tribosyn 320 Series - https://shop.newgatesimms.com/produc...se-trial-pack/ Unquote

That is a most helpful response. It would seem from an earlier post to the thread that Tribosyn 320 Green is the best. The website says they have another, which is thicker. Will it resist leaking air? One hopes so but some testing will be required!

Collectors here might find this of interest and, not least, the availability of a testing kit full of samples of varying thickness.

Rgds
    A

That's useful information.
    None of my Mk3's suffer leaking taps but I have a few old BSA's whose taps would benefit from an appropriate sealant.

Aubrey

Very Interesting Andrew. I see that the A bey seller of Nyogel 767 now sells the green as a replacement because Nyogel has been discontinued.
    My Mk 6 Airsporter leaked like a sieve and blew Nyogel out. I ended up getting two small grooves cut and o rings fitted to hold it in. Even though some air can escape out of the loading hole it did make a positive difference, as shown when releasing the cocking lever against an open tap.

I will be interested to see how the green and blue compare and whether the blue stops the tap moving.

The first few pellets may drag grease into the bore and reduce velocity.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Very Interesting Andrew. I see that the A bey seller of Nyogel 767 now sells the green as a replacement because Nyogel has been discontinued.
    My Mk 6 Airsporter leaked like a sieve and blew Nyogel out. I ended up getting two small grooves cut and o rings fitted to hold it in. Even though some air can escape out of the loading hole it did make a positive difference, as shown when releasing the cocking lever against an open tap.

I will be interested to see how the green and blue compare and whether the blue stops the tap moving.

The first few pellets may drag grease into the bore and reduce velocity.

Yes, it might be that the Tribosyn 320 Blue, at the top of their range, will do the trick. It does depend how bad the leak is, of course. Some experimentation is required, I think.

Rgds
    A