Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It the end of the year- Your best purchase and maybe one that surprised you?

It the end of the year- Your best purchase and maybe one that surprised you?

Best purchase was my Beeman Westley Richards, this probably being the best. The biggest surprise was a Japanese SKB53 rifle. I was not expecting the quality in this early Japanese rifle. Cherry stock was surprisingly nice and a wood you just don’t see on a rifle, bluing awesome, nice aperture, had the look and feel. My first Japanese rifle. Was so used to see their cheap BSA copies, total surprise.

nice looking rifle that,not to mention the pistol.

The SKB is gorgeous, I didn't know (or had forgotten LOL) they made springers. The elegant slender, tapered lines of the stock are beautiful - it looks like a race-prepped Webley Mk 3!

Well this one will make most of you yawn, but my best was this addition to my HW 55 collection: an early Beeman-marked "M" variant. Long story short, it has some interesting transitional details that fill in some gaps in this model's overall history. Also in superb cosmetic condition, and a fine shooter.

Last edited by MDriskill; 23-12-2023 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Well this one will make most of you yawn, but my best was this addition to my HW 55 collection: an early Beeman-marked "M" variant. Long story short, it has some interesting transitional details that fill in some gaps in this model's overall history. Also in superb cosmetic condition, and a fine shooter.

That certainly does not make me yawn! A beautiful HW55 about a year apart from my own 55M. I'm sure you'll agree but those 70's era HW's are among the best air rifles ever made.

Thanks! The "HW 55 geek" details on this one include: oldest example I have seen with a fore end accessory rail, and Beeman markings. But also: newest one with old-style 13mm sight rail spacing, and serial on the rear receiver instead of the barrel. Tiny but interesting (well...to me anyhow!) changes were afoot in 1975.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 23-12-2023 at 12:52 AM.

'Beeman Westley Richards' ? Was that not made before Bob Beeman was born?
    Always wanting Webley or BSA scorpion pistols or bits. Got the minters, now need scrappers, projects or parts WHY please

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Bought at a auction of his airguns need to move on from that!
    Last edited by 45flint; 22-12-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post

I wrote this on the AVA about Steve's decision to cut the Beeman collection disc off his WRHP:

I think you made exactly the right decision, Steve. It's obviously up to an owner if they think these brass tags add to the gun, but I wouldn't want one anywhere near a gun of mine. The very fact the tags were so long-lasting and firmly fixed speaks to me of Beeman's lack of humility. A properly humble collector sees himself as a passing custodian, not as an integral part of a gun's history, his name to be bound forever with that example...

Not that it gives me any pleasure to speak ill of the dead. I admired his passion for airguns, his desire as a collector and his ingenuity as a businessman.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

I wrote this on the AVA about Steve's decision to cut the Beeman collection disc off his WRHP:

I think you made exactly the right decision, Steve. It's obviously up to an owner if they think these brass tags add to the gun, but I wouldn't want one anywhere near a gun of mine. The very fact the tags were so long-lasting and firmly fixed speaks to me of Beeman's lack of humility. A properly humble collector sees himself as a passing custodian, not as an integral part of a gun's history, his name to be bound forever with that example...

Not that it gives me any pleasure to speak ill of the dead. I admired his passion for airguns, his desire as a collector and his ingenuity as a businessman.
    And the money to be able to collect all of them, which restricks most of us.

There been a few interesting bits this year that I’m yet to post about, a very intriguing lightweight bellows gun for example, but the best catch by far was the rare Winstar 550 pistol acquired from this very forum back in February.

Cheers,
    Matt

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Not an aged collectible in the true sense but a Birmingham made Mk. 1 Webley Stingray .22 cal.
    I wasn’t particularly searching for one but during a visit to my local gunshop I noticed it lurking on the gun rack as you do !!
    Couldn’t resist it so now it’s undergoing a wee bit of TLC and I’m looking forward to giving it a thorough workout in the New Year !
    “An airgun or two”………

not bought anything old for a long time ,maybe in the new year things will change

Auction surprise

A couple of months ago I bought a Mk2 Airsporter from Auction expecting the usual problems. No, the bluing is almost as new the stock has a few dings and after I gave the piston washer a soak it's up to power.
    Somebody clearly looked after it and I assume it was sold by relatives after his passing.
    It came with a bonus tin of wasps which have no barcode and I hope they are the originals.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    There been a few interesting bits this year that I’m yet to post about, a very intriguing lightweight bellows gun for example, but the best catch by far was the rare Winstar 550 pistol acquired from this very forum back in February.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Stop rubbing it in man!....

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    My nicest one of the year...