Thread: Christmas conundrum

Christmas conundrum

One to distract you from last minute panic shopping.
    When do you consider it acceptable to chop/alter/customise a rifle thus rendering it useless for collecting purposes?
    This will depend on scarcity, value and condition at least, but you may feel other factors influence matters.

Also does anyone have any horror stories of guns ruined?

ATB DFL
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Conundrum

Quite the opposite, if you buy a rifle to use, have it how you want it!

And yes, horror stories, but not what you are thinking, not of away from standard, but of the manic desire to return to standard with no idea of the history or why it was modified in the first place!

AND, collectors particularly, with target/match rifles should research the history, particularly the competition history before they blindly grumble that its been modified from standard and restore back to standard, and remove or destroy what could be a historic rifle!

I have rescued two rifles in the nick of time, that have nearly had that treatment, one was a 300 mt full bore Walther special (and the first Accuracy International, just google them!), it was built and used by Malcolm Cooper (google him if you are unaware of him), it was his first 300 mt rifle that he built, a very special rifle, he set British and World records with it, and won several World Championships with it, he is probably the most successful, and best target rifle shooter this country has ever known. And that was in all rifle disciplines, Air, small bore, 300 mt full bore, at National, World and Olympics. I rescued it just before it was "converted" back to standard by an unknowing person, fortunately the worst loss was of a percentage of the period equipment control stickers, and not all but fortunately some of the best were saved. I carefully restored it to as he shot it, with help from Walther and another manufacturer, and presented it to the NRA museum at Bisley, where it is now on display for posterity.

I have also just rescued the Air rifle (nostalgic old fart!), an Original 75, that was the first 75 into the UK, imported specially for my wife, she as a member of the GB team, won her first International medal with it, and many more after, it was extensively modified for her, so a very non standard stock and trigger set up, it was unique and after being lost for many years rescued when it emerged shortly before it was restored back to standard with no knowledge of its history. But it had lost all its equipment control stickers, simple things of no interest to a collector, but that indicated its varied history at some high profile events. That is now in restoration to how it was used.

So guys, before you return to standard, especially if its a competition gun, please research its history!

Have Fun and Merry Xmas
    Robin
    Last edited by RobinC; 24-12-2023 at 11:56 AM.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

i always say its up to the owner how he uses and does what he wants with it

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    One to distract you from last minute panic shopping.
    When do you consider it acceptable to chop/alter/customise a rifle thus rendering it useless for collecting purposes?
    This will depend on scarcity, value and condition at least, but you may feel other factors influence matters.

Also does anyone have any horror stories of guns ruined?

ATB DFL
    I was inspired after watching Sweeney 2 to create my own sawn off rifle. In the film, a bank robber living on the Costa Del Crime in Spain prepares for one last bank job in Blighty by sawing off the barrels of a gold-plated side-by-side shotgun.

Aged about 14, my only rifle to hand was my much-loved but now little-used Crosman 766, which had lost its open sights. So i cut off the stock just behind the pistol grip with a woodsaw. exposing the fact that the stock was partially hollow. I then sawed of the barrel shroud and barrel with a hacksaw. This meant the barrel flopped around inside the shroud, so I had to modify a black tap washer and glue it in place to centre the barrel.

In all, it was a waste of a perfectly serviceable rifle and lacked any of the menace of the sawn-off in the movie. If I'd have walked into a bank with that Crosman and said 'this is a stick-up', I would have been laughed off the premises.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I have also just rescued the Air rifle (nostalgic old fart!), an Original 75, that was the first 75 into the UK, imported specially for my wife, she as a member of the GB team, won her first International medal with it, and many more after, it was extensively modified for her, so a very non standard stock and trigger set up, it was unique and after being lost for many years rescued when it emerged shortly before it was restored back to standard with no knowledge of its history.
    Robin
    So you found it Robin! Well done!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

In my collection I have a few “as original” examples, and some custom/modified/project type rifles too. Personally, I wouldn’t irreversibly alter a good original example of a collectible rifle. Generally I prefer originality, so if I buy a collectible rifle that can be returned to original condition I will endeavour to restore it by sourcing the correct components etc. If the condition is such that it’s impossible to return to original, at that point I consider it open season, and am perfectly comfortable to modify it further!

Cheers
    Greg

As long as there’s plenty about, and you’re doing it for a reason, don’t see a problem
    Like need a non right handed one.....😡