Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TX200 Vs Pro Sport in .22 advice

I find TX (either) easy to shoot accurately, and Pro Sports not great to shoot, fiddly and just too heavy
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Pro-Sport all the way, although the new price for one is now silly. I’ve had both and never understood why folks think the cocking is a faff, far easier IMHO then messing with the TX bear trap.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I like the PS as it's the last of concealed underlevers still being made but I don't think that it would be surviving if it wasn't for its looks only AA can get away with it with its classy looks and quality, apart from the curtain rail lever setup:

I own one of each, TX in .177, TXHC in .22 and Prosport in .22, all tuned (reduced piston diameter), all stunningly accurate, all three barely give the nudge you get from .22 rimfire as recoil

For all everyone bitches about the Prosport underlever with gloves on (even a padded mitt for HFT) it pops out easier than the detent on a TX/TXHC, and once the edges of the lever have been rubbed down or worn in by use it is no worse than the tube of the TX/TXHC

Cocking effort it sits firmly between the TX/TXHC, and with best practice of holding lever even loses the ABT

Honestly apart from being a bit more of a faff to strip than the TX (on the few occasions they need to be stripped for maintenance) my only reservation about the Prosport is longevity of the cocking lever and its link points/bushes...
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

My ProSport in .22 gives me the greatest shooting pleasure of all my springers. Docile firing cycle, fabulous trigger, incredibly accurate, far less fiddly to load than my TX200 .177 (which I love!) and its balance and handling are superb. Its main use is hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I own one of each, TX in .177, TXHC

Cocking effort it sits firmly between the TX/TXHC,
    Do you think that your PS might feel it's easier to cock than your HC because its .22?

Sometimes cocking effort feel different to the individual because the lever on the PS has to be pulled back past the trigger and the lever on the HC is only as far as the forend, this made the PS a little more awkward for me compared with the HC, it reminds me of long plinking sessions with my old Airsporter

I would like to know the real cocking effort HC vs PS, my .177 HC is 28lb

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Do you think that your PS might feel it's easier to cock than your HC because its .22?

Sometimes cocking effort feel different to the individual because the lever on the PS has to be pulled back past the trigger and the lever on the HC is only as far as the forend, this made the PS a little more awkward for me compared with the HC, it reminds me of long plinking sessions with my old Airsporter

I would like to know the real cocking effort HC vs PS, my .177 HC is 28lb
    Have never got scientific with measuring force required, just struggle to understand all the bad press the Prosport gets for cocking effort/ease - compared to the HC it is easy, my 11 year old nephew can manage it
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Neither can I..it is as easy and the same as any Airsporter..except it's a million times better in every way.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I tend to think about "cocking effort" in terms of how many times you cock and fire the air rifle !
    Hunting, well, only several times maybe " ?
    An hour of more range session, many more times then the difficulty/fatigue kicks in !

In all my present underlevers, the HW 77 .22 is the most user friendly, a bit of a stretch sitting at a bench but overall less effort.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I tend to think about "cocking effort" in terms of how many times you cock and fire the air rifle !
    Hunting, well, only several times maybe " ?
    An hour of more range session, many more times then the difficulty/fatigue kicks in !

In all my present underlevers, the HW 77 .22 is the most user friendly, a bit of a stretch sitting at a bench but overall less effort.
    You are right that's the best way for the individual, I have been cocking spring guns for so long I don't notice the effort you just get a knack

But because we are all different when advising about cocking effort, I like to be more precise rather that a guess and this is an easy way, you can just see this one is under 20lb effort.

Thanks to all

That button you have to press on the tx200 is a bit of a faff, Prosport all day long for me , effeminate soft hands need not apply 😆👍

Quote Originally Posted by foby75 View Post

My ProSport in .22 gives me the greatest shooting pleasure of all my springers. Docile firing cycle, fabulous trigger, incredibly accurate, far less fiddly to load than my TX200 .177 (which I love!) and its balance and handling are superb. Its main use is hunting.
    That is the nicest wood I've ever seen on a Pro-Sport. Can I please trouble you for some higher resolution photos to do the beauty of that stock full justice?

More to the point of this thread (I've posted this elsewhere, but just in case some of you have missed it), here's a tip for those who are considering the TX over the PS due to the admittedly challenging cocking effort/ergonomics of the PS, particularly in the export version, like the one I have, which is pushing close to 15 ft-lbs:

Assuming you're right-handed, the natural inclination is to place the butt against your right hip when cocking with the left arm. This causes your left arm to reach over your upper torso, forcing your weaker shoulder muscles to do most of the work during cocking. Instead, try placing the butt on your left hip. Then, when you cock it with your left arm, do so in a rowing motion that will engage your lats and biceps more. This makes the PS a breeze to shoot all day without pain or fatigue. Until I learned this simple trick, cocking my PS was literally a pain. BTW, this technique works equally well with break barrels that have a high cocking effort.

I had a go with a beautiful ProSport yesterday at The Bash. Lovely firing cycle. I "tweaked" the cocking procedure so that after releasing the lever, I pressed down on the fuller part of the lever with the flat of my palm, making it a much nicer affair. This example sported some most beautiful figuring also. Lovely.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I had a go with a beautiful ProSport yesterday at The Bash. Lovely firing cycle. I "tweaked" the cocking procedure so that after releasing the lever, I pressed down on the fuller part of the lever with the flat of my palm, making it a much nicer affair. This example sported some most beautiful figuring also. Lovely.
    Morning Tony, nice to meet you yesterday, that was my ProSport that is in the pictures, Nick Simmons did a great job with it.