Thread: Webley Junior date query

Webley Junior date query

Good evening all,

I picked up a rather nice little Webley Junior this afternoon in .177. I would like to try and find out a rough date if possible. Serial number is 1066 and B series. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie_fn12 View Post
    Good evening all,

I picked up a rather nice little Webley Junior this afternoon in .177. I would like to try and find out a rough date if possible. Serial number is 1066 and B series. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards

Dougie
    Unless you are referring to the rifle and not the pistol, we would need to see some pictures to definitely identify the pistol you have. The only Webley Junior air pistol that was stamped with a Ser No was the pre-war model which was also preceded by the letter J. All post-war Juniors were stamped with Batch Nos meaning this could be duplicated and therefore no help with establishing manufacturing dates. The only Webley air pistols with a series letter stamped on the side of the frame were the Premier models dating from the mid-sixties with the early A & B series being among the most sought after by collectors.
    Hope this helps.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 30-12-2023 at 10:19 AM.

I have a late blued Webley Junior air pistol that is coded B.

Unusually it has what appears to be a date code under the left stock side: 11 8 for November 1968. This being stamped in a similar manner to Webley Premiers of the same vintage.

If you do remove the grip to check yours, be very careful when replacing it to ensure the moulded projection at the grip's base does not sheer off (if it has not already done so).

Hope that helps.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....

Pic of the pistol
    Don
    Last edited by BEESA; 30-12-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Looks like 4 9 under the grip, so this example would have been made in April 1969.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

Unusually it has what appears to be a date code under the left stock side: 11 8 for November 1968. This being stamped in a similar manner to Webley Premiers of the same vintage.

If you do remove the grip to check yours, be very careful when replacing it to ensure the moulded projection at the grip's base does not sheer off (if it has not already done so).

Hope that helps.

John
    I have a B series Junior similar to Dougie's, I didn't know it was possible to date them!
    Just had a look under the grip and it's stamped 5 8 so May 1968. There is a number aswell 2142, would this be the batch number?

Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I have a B series Junior similar to Dougie's, I didn't know it was possible to date them!
    Just had a look under the grip and it's stamped 5 8 so May 1968. There is a number aswell 2142, would this be the batch number?

Daz
    It is indeed Daz.

Only a few Juniors appear to have been date stamped though, so it's not a generic feature.

John

Hope that helps.

John
    Hi John,
    Although I was aware of inspection stamps and some with date stamps under the grips of the Junior, I haven’t seen any pistols with with another letter eg B stamped on the frame. Was this applied to assist in the manufacturing process as I always believed that the only Webley air pistols to have series stamping marking on the side of the frame were the Premiers.
    Happy New Year.
    Brian

Junior with A frame.

On reading the junior which was bought with B stamped on frame, it got me thinking that i was sure i had a junior with letter on frame. So into my collection i go and low and behold i found said junior. It is a virtually as new model, Park Lane made , in Suncorite finish i think.White lettering on cylinder, batch427. Circa 1970.
    complete with the letter A stamped on left hand side of frame trigger guard. Also original box and component parts list and Webley pellet pouch.(packet).BIRM. B218LU. Just noticed price label on lid. £9.60.Eric Wildmont who ever he is. Can email pics if any interest.

Happy new year. Roly.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi John,
    Although I was aware of inspection stamps and some with date stamps under the grips of the Junior, I haven’t seen any pistols with with another letter eg B stamped on the frame. Was this applied to assist in the manufacturing process as I always believed that the only Webley air pistols to have series stamping marking on the side of the frame were the Premiers.
    Happy New Year.
    Brian
    Happy New Year to you Brian.

During the late 1960s, Webley stamped some Junior pistols with a B and also date stamped some of them.

They made others around this time or just after that were stamped A and which had an enamel finish. My guess, and it is just that is the B denoted blued and A signified the baked on finish.

Kind regards,

John

Happy New Year to you Brian.

During the late 1960s, Webley stamped some Junior pistols with a B and also date stamped some of them.

They made others around this time or just after that were stamped A and which had an enamel finish. My guess, and it is just that is the B denoted blued and A signified the baked on finish.

Kind regards,

John
    Hello John,
    Your explanation for the A and B markings on these later Juniors would seem to make sense given that they are associated with different finishes.
    Thanks.
    Brian

Thanks to everyone for the input, it is interesting to see the replies and what others have. I have a slight problem with the cocking at the moment and have read it may be the sear / spring. I will give this a go and see how things go. If any one has some recommendations please do let me know.

Kind regards

Dougie
    Springer fanatic