Thread: Does anyone know what these were ?

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Does anyone know what these were ?

No, not the pistol, the box and its contents. ( I admit I only put the Anson there for effect, it having the same name as the ammo', and because it hasn't had a viewing for years.)

I acquired this box empty and have no idea what the Star "spread shot pellets" were, or when they were made. Were they those chalk sticks with embedded shot, or small cardboard tubes of shot? I have a feeling I have seen 'Star Brand' in connection with other airgun pellets somewhere. Any information anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

I believe they were like a chalk stick with number 9/10 shot embedded.?
    snarepeg.

not seen them before

No, not the pistol, the box and its contents. ( I admit I only put the Anson there for effect, it having the same name as the ammo', and because it hasn't had a viewing for years.)

I acquired this box empty and have no idea what the Star "spread shot pellets" were, or when they were made. Were they those chalk sticks with embedded shot, or small cardboard tubes of shot? I have a feeling I have seen 'Star Brand' in connection with other airgun pellets somewhere. Any information anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

This rang a bell so to speak & looking back it came up as a thread in 2011. Consensus of opinion seems to suggest they were chalk shot sticks. In 177 for pistols I wonder what they performed like?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

Thanks,
    John
    They need to be seen John.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    I believe they were like a chalk stick with number 9/10 shot embedded.?
    Yes l think you are right, l seem to remember seeing something like them on eb**

Spread Shot

They get a mention on page 104 of Lesley Wesley's book, revised edition. Initially popular on the Continent, later made in the UK, up to circa 1930.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.