Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got BSA MEteor pics please? Fancier the better!

Anyone got BSA MEteor pics please? Fancier the better!

Hi Chaps,

I have a bit of a thing for BSA Meteors and have enough parts to make a couple which I will get around to hopefully in the coming year. It would be nice to see if anyone has ever reworked a stock for one of these or refinished a stock? Any tips or advice would be great especially your pics.

As for the rifle itself I think they are around 9 foot pounds which is fine but without going mad is there a way to improve the gun? I believe the barrel width is 15.5mm? Finally has anyone made a carbine version?

So many questions I know but I am looking for ideas and intend to plagiarise your work (please take this as flattery).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your work.

I have a really sad old Meteor Mk1, I tried Danish Oil on the really rough stock after stripping and sanding, it was a disaster!

A resand and a couple of coats of Ronseal Clear Varnish improved it enormously.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/819672...posted-public/

Apologies to any purists who suffer distress at the above.

I reworked two Mk3s and named them Pepsi and Shirley the former's barrel is shortened by an inch which is just enough to leave a bit of the counterbore. This was then properly finished by Dez the metal polishing guru when all the action was polished to a mirror finish. Craig P chequered both both of their pistol grips and added a dark wood end cap to Shirley where a previous owner's dog chewed it.

Pepsi's stock was stained black then finished with walnut oil, however I found out too late that Beech does not take oil perfectly and I still get a little bit of black on my hands. Don't care about that.

Both have BS 210 quad rings in place of the normal O ring and Shirley sports a new 5.5 mm barrel. I have to home blue her cylinder this winter.

Pepsi has a metal spring guide that came with my Merc S and needed wet & drying to get a good fit, Shirley has a radically cut down Titan spring (240mm) with Titan guide. They both have good firing cycles
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    I have a really sad old Meteor Mk1, I tried Danish Oil on the really rough stock after stripping and sanding, it was a disaster!

A Mark 1!! I don't think I've ever seen one, it looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I reworked two Mk3s and named them Pepsi and Shirley the former's barrel is shortened by an inch which is just enough to leave a bit of the counterbore. This was then properly finished by Dez the metal polishing guru when all the action was polished to a mirror finish. Craig P chequered both both of their pistol grips and added a dark wood end cap to Shirley where a previous owner's dog chewed it.

Pepsi's stock was stained black then finished with walnut oil, however I found out too late that Beech does not take oil perfectly and I still get a little bit of black on my hands. Don't care about that.

Both have BS 210 quad rings in place of the normal O ring and Shirley sports a new 5.5 mm barrel. I have to home blue her cylinder this winter.

Pepsi has a metal spring guide that came with my Merc S and needed wet & drying to get a good fit, Shirley has a radically cut down Titan spring (240mm) with Titan guide. They both have good firing cycles
    Yes this is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to discover what people have done. The Meteor is still pretty common to mess about with. I like the idea of a polished mirror finish! A silver scope on top and it would look very unique! The idea of taking out the "extra" part of the barrel is interesting as I assume there would be no need to recrown it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Yes this is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to discover what people have done. The Meteor is still pretty common to mess about with. I like the idea of a polished mirror finish! A silver scope on top and it would look very unique! The idea of taking out the "extra" part of the barrel is interesting as I assume there would be no need to recrown it.
    Exactly, as long as you never intend to use open sights.

The plan is a sleeve on a shortened barrel and a red dot sight as it will be a 15m plinker.... things may change and an air stripper possibly... its all about the look for this one which will hopefully be a Mk3 or 4 Super Meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post

Although not a purist, I can see nothing wrong with this. I may sit corrected but I believe varnish suits beech.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    The plan is a sleeve on a shortened barrel and a red dot sight as it will be a 15m plinker.... things may change and an air stripper possibly... its all about the look for this one which will hopefully be a Mk3 or 4 Super Meteor.
    Carbon fibre tube is available on the bay in 12 inch lengths. If the ID of the tube matched the OD of the barrel, you might have a sleeve.

I received your pics and the rifles look stunning but I dont have a web host to link them to sadly...
    I have to say that the rifles look amazing, the one with the smaller stock and polished metal is very striking

Hopefully this will take the invested reader onto my Imgur site to be viewed?

https://imgur.com/P7PpjZR

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Carbon fibre tube is available on the bay in 12 inch lengths. If the ID of the tube matched the OD of the barrel, you might have a sleeve.
    I have a link on fleabay to a 16mm inside diameter length of steel tube... the outside diameter of a BSA barrel for a Meteor is I think 15.5mm. I cant remember though what glue I was advised to use and it was on here.

Having seen your polished version though that could well be an option

Wink

I nearly did a carbine project but sold the gun instead.
    I have a TG serial (.22) barrel that I had reduced to 14.5 inches so 4 inches removed (therefore no front sight anymore of course).
    I had the tip crowned and also threaded for a screw on silencer.
    Being a TG it would be the Mk 4/5 articulated cocking link type (it was a Super I was doing though so Mk3). Not sure if that barrel would work with an earlier one piece link gun?
    It has a Parker Hale silencer of unknown condition/quality and as it's almost 7 inches long, I realised I'd lost my carbine looking option, being 3 inches longer overall when screwed on.
    The barrel has unsightly threads showing if the silencer isn't fitted so I lost interest and didn't go ahead.
    Although it would ruin the originality of my Meteor Cadet I could try it on that but then it would need a scope and the thing about the Cadet version is the rear peep sight.
    More likely I'll never use it so if the barrel interests you pm me.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

That sounds like a lot of work put into that project... I am trying to keep everything .177 from now on as I have everything already in .22. Threaded for a silencer is the hard core way to go I was thinking of wimping out with a gmac slide on arrangement!

Both with original fiddleback maple stocks, nicer in real life than on the photo.