Thread: Anyone got BSA MEteor pics please? Fancier the better!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone got BSA MEteor pics please? Fancier the better!

Hi Chaps,

I have a bit of a thing for BSA Meteors and have enough parts to make a couple which I will get around to hopefully in the coming year. It would be nice to see if anyone has ever reworked a stock for one of these or refinished a stock? Any tips or advice would be great especially your pics.

As for the rifle itself I think they are around 9 foot pounds which is fine but without going mad is there a way to improve the gun? I believe the barrel width is 15.5mm? Finally has anyone made a carbine version?

So many questions I know but I am looking for ideas and intend to plagiarise your work (please take this as flattery).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing your work.

I have a really sad old Meteor Mk1, I tried Danish Oil on the really rough stock after stripping and sanding, it was a disaster!

A resand and a couple of coats of Ronseal Clear Varnish improved it enormously.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/819672...posted-public/

Apologies to any purists who suffer distress at the above.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    I have a really sad old Meteor Mk1, I tried Danish Oil on the really rough stock after stripping and sanding, it was a disaster!

A Mark 1!! I don't think I've ever seen one, it looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post

Although not a purist, I can see nothing wrong with this. I may sit corrected but I believe varnish suits beech.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

I reworked two Mk3s and named them Pepsi and Shirley the former's barrel is shortened by an inch which is just enough to leave a bit of the counterbore. This was then properly finished by Dez the metal polishing guru when all the action was polished to a mirror finish. Craig P chequered both both of their pistol grips and added a dark wood end cap to Shirley where a previous owner's dog chewed it.

Pepsi's stock was stained black then finished with walnut oil, however I found out too late that Beech does not take oil perfectly and I still get a little bit of black on my hands. Don't care about that.

Both have BS 210 quad rings in place of the normal O ring and Shirley sports a new 5.5 mm barrel. I have to home blue her cylinder this winter.

Pepsi has a metal spring guide that came with my Merc S and needed wet & drying to get a good fit, Shirley has a radically cut down Titan spring (240mm) with Titan guide. They both have good firing cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I reworked two Mk3s and named them Pepsi and Shirley the former's barrel is shortened by an inch which is just enough to leave a bit of the counterbore. This was then properly finished by Dez the metal polishing guru when all the action was polished to a mirror finish. Craig P chequered both both of their pistol grips and added a dark wood end cap to Shirley where a previous owner's dog chewed it.

Pepsi's stock was stained black then finished with walnut oil, however I found out too late that Beech does not take oil perfectly and I still get a little bit of black on my hands. Don't care about that.

Both have BS 210 quad rings in place of the normal O ring and Shirley sports a new 5.5 mm barrel. I have to home blue her cylinder this winter.

Pepsi has a metal spring guide that came with my Merc S and needed wet & drying to get a good fit, Shirley has a radically cut down Titan spring (240mm) with Titan guide. They both have good firing cycles
    Yes this is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to discover what people have done. The Meteor is still pretty common to mess about with. I like the idea of a polished mirror finish! A silver scope on top and it would look very unique! The idea of taking out the "extra" part of the barrel is interesting as I assume there would be no need to recrown it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Yes this is exactly the sort of thing that I wanted to discover what people have done. The Meteor is still pretty common to mess about with. I like the idea of a polished mirror finish! A silver scope on top and it would look very unique! The idea of taking out the "extra" part of the barrel is interesting as I assume there would be no need to recrown it.
    Exactly, as long as you never intend to use open sights.

The plan is a sleeve on a shortened barrel and a red dot sight as it will be a 15m plinker.... things may change and an air stripper possibly... its all about the look for this one which will hopefully be a Mk3 or 4 Super Meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    The plan is a sleeve on a shortened barrel and a red dot sight as it will be a 15m plinker.... things may change and an air stripper possibly... its all about the look for this one which will hopefully be a Mk3 or 4 Super Meteor.
    Carbon fibre tube is available on the bay in 12 inch lengths. If the ID of the tube matched the OD of the barrel, you might have a sleeve.