Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone got BSA MEteor pics please? Fancier the better!

Quote Originally Posted by jirushi View Post
    Both with original fiddleback maple stocks, nicer in real life than on the photo.

Oh My!! Possibly the craziest Meteors ever! I may have seen this pic before but Ive saved it again as these are stunning! Do the barrels have a sleeve on them? I really do like these rifles, how long are the barrels please? I feel I may give this idea a go.

I have both a Meteor and a Mercury with "birdseye" maple stocks. The Meteor had factory stain on it when I bought it but I could tell from the grain it wasn't beech so I had the stain removed. The Mercury stock had the stain removed by the previous owner. I am not clever enough to post pics on here. They are very different from pics already posted

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeymoo View Post
    I have both a Meteor and a Mercury with "birdseye" maple stocks. The Meteor had factory stain on it when I bought it but I could tell from the grain it wasn't beech so I had the stain removed. The Mercury stock had the stain removed by the previous owner. I am not clever enough to post pics on here. They are very different from pics already posted
    I have never seen a BSA rifle in the flesh with a Maple stock... the Mercury with the larger stock would I am sure look stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I have never seen a BSA rifle in the flesh with a Maple stock... the Mercury with the larger stock would I am sure look stunning.
    It does....and it has hundreds of birds eyes on it

This one is a Meteor (Mk3 from memory), The gun has long since gone but in it's own stock, I still have this one somewhere, Dunno what it was originally from but it had been slightly modified to fit the meteor!!

Found a better pic of the stock on the right, I think the left one was from the rifle so went back on when I sold it.

A .177" Nickel plated mk1 that doesn't look really good but shoots lovely!!, The scope is a Webley 2-7x20.

A .177" Mk2 that I bought from Chris Hough at Melbourne some years ago, I also bought the mounts from there that take a 1" tube and fit the larger pressed out rails..

I was given this as a freebie from a mate, His wifes friend found it in the wardrobe after her father passed and was clearing out his house, She just wanted it out of the house so he brought it for me, It's in a right state but again, Cocks and shoots lovely!, It has been fired whilst barrel was open and the stock had split in two, There was all sorts of other things wrong too, It must have broken the short cocking links as they were home made from thin mild steel and bent as a nine bob note!, Luckily I had a pair spare!

As Gary (Grayling) would have said, Goldenballs strikes again!

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thats an impressive group of Meteors indeed! The one with the "foreign" stock looked like it had been made for it. Thanks for sharing the pics I have saved them for reference.

Oh My!! Possibly the craziest Meteors ever! I may have seen this pic before but Ive saved it again as these are stunning! Do the barrels have a sleeve on them? I really do like these rifles, how long are the barrels please? I feel I may give this idea a go.
    Hi Gamocfx, they are Lightning barrels. If you want, I can measure the length, but I don't have the gun here atm. I sold the bottom one.
    I bought the top one's stock from John Bowkett a few years ago. It was stained by BSA. Maybe I should have left it as it was, but now you can see the figuring of the wood better.
    I sent the piston and spring to Paul Short, for making a piston sleeve and top hat. The late Frakor (Frank Korn) changed the barrel axis pin into a HW-type screw, so that the breech fork cannot open up anymore.

It goes to show what can be done with a Meteor, I think they are possibly a victim of their own success. They used to be everywhere, so common that they rarely get a second glance. A bit like a BSA Bantam or the Honda 90 yet really they are a classic. I like the idea of a threaded barrel pin...

Nothing fancy, just a Super Meteor mk2/3 with a carbine length Supersport barrel and a Maccari Muzzle brake.
    Of course, the internals are a bit tweaked, same with the lockup.

Oh, and it has oversize stock screws that are fitted to the stock screw recesses, instead of the original screws that chew up the stock.

Too many airguns!

Evert that is a thing of beauty! I really like that rifle.... I assume that it shoots as good as it looks?

Evert that is a thing of beauty! I really like that rifle.... I assume that it shoots as good as it looks?
    Yep, as good as any other good lightweight springer, five pellets in a single hole at 10meters if you do the job right.
    Oh yeah, the trigger has some tweaks too
    Too many airguns!

I purchased a Walther RM8 PCP last year as a treat to self. The thing weighs a ton, needs a tank and basically for me is not as much fun as an old springer. Possibly my age is kicking in but I have found (to my cost) that a self contained springer is much more useful for me and probably more fun.

I had no idea that one could tweak a Meteor trigger, polishing the working parts perhaps?

I purchased a Walther RM8 PCP last year as a treat to self. The thing weighs a ton, needs a tank and basically for me is not as much fun as an old springer. Possibly my age is kicking in but I have found (to my cost) that a self contained springer is much more useful for me and probably more fun.

I had no idea that one could tweak a Meteor trigger, polishing the working parts perhaps?
    You can stone the trigger/sear engagement and carefully alter the engagement angle on the trigger to reduce sear lift.
    You can make a trigger spring from thinner wire.
    Sear engagement can be adjusted with the screw in the trigger.

All these combined can make for a quite good trigger.
    Too many airguns!

I have not heard of using thinner wire to make the spring-that is clever! I usually like the BSA triggers and have never had an issue with them until I tried the new plastic trigger Gamo nonsense.... Metal triggers in Gamos can be replaced using a Welsh Willy trigger but the new ones are awful in comparison.