Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
D28 parachute seal; enjoy the extra stroke/power/efficiency/smoothness
Subject is an excellent condition late model Mercury Mk 4, not the S, but with the breech bolt and rolled on chequering and a nice stock.

I want to see what it will do in standard fettle before thinking about modifying it, some collector probably deserves it more than me.

I do have a spare piston for experimentation later down the road should I choose to go that way.

The cheese-drag seems to have buggered up the shot cycle and it was only grouping 1" at 10 yards, which I would expect from a pistol on a rest.

Strangely the cheese seemed to autofragment and then jam between the piston head and the cylinder; I was not expecting it to be a problem as the rifle appeared well looked after but the sawdust-like fragments of cheese were apparent around the cocking slot and I opened it up to find total dissolution of the cheese buffer. Weird. I think this was simply an age thing, rifle must never have been opened and it must be 35 years old, just doesn't look it. Because of my age it seems a 'contemporary' rifle but that is so so wrong. No Mercury has left the BSA factory in a generation.