Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bsa buffer washer cheese period?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Stripped the Mercury, there was resinous buffer cheese lacquering the compression chamber and it would not come off until I hit it with the Solvol Autosol and an electric drill.

The spring seemed very straight, there is a ridiculous about of pre-load on these guns and it was a total bastard to get the spring back in, even with the assistance of a spring compressor.

As a result of this I do not like this gun. The cocking effort is quite high, I am not sure if the spring is a Titan or something OTT but I will take it for accuracy testing tomorrow and run in the Meteor 'O' - ring.

While it comes up to the aim brilliantly, and looks like a swoopy beauty, I just keep thinking the HW35 is the better choice of the era.
    The last Titan I fitted to to an airsporter had to be cut to 260 mm and is easy to fit. It ought to be the same for a Mercury. After a lifetime of using my Airsporter the 1st time I shouldered a Mercury, it fitted like a glove, better than my 35.
    Make room for both in your life.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

: Bsa buffer washer cheese period?

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    If it is the modern polyurethane it should not deteriorate as it will contain a special additive in the mix which did not exist in the old type.
    In all the many Meteors I have fixed I just fit a large rubber tap seal which is the correct diameter and just needs the hole opening to 10 mm.

Baz
    That's what I did to my challenger on my 635 magnum I shortened the rod end & drilled another hole for the retaining pin doing way with it altogether.