Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peep/aperture rear sight for a Weihrauch HW77K?

Peep/aperture rear sight for a Weihrauch HW77K?

Has anyone got any recommendations for a rear peep sight for the 77K to look out for or even one surplus to requirements for sale please? I picked up a couple of cheap ones but not great quality and one is much too high anyway...
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

For a peep sight, the Williams if you can find one. For a diopter, the old Weihrauch ones look better than anything else. Watch out as some fit the older 13mm Weihrauch dovetail.

I thought that peep sights and diopters were one and the same thing. Perhaps the diopter has a choice of rear diameters whereas the peep sight produces only one.

I have a Gamo on my Omega and this does sterling stuff and is almost as accurate as a telescopic sight.

I found that Williams were very hard to find.

If I could find a good second hand diopter, I would place it on my Walther LGV. The prices, alas, are quite silly.

Rgds
    A

Must admit I was using the term as interchangeable.

The Feinwerkbau, and Walther, 11mm versions may be what you need since the HW is difficult to find. Can do photo tomorrow if it helps
    Last edited by deejayuu; 05-01-2024 at 11:06 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Cheap solution is to mount the standard 77 rear sight at the back of the scope rail & replace the notch plate with a piece of steel with your favourite hole size drilled in it like the old Meteor Cadet peep sights.

In current US-speak, a "peep sight" is a small, light, sporting-oriented aperture sight such as the Williams. A "diopter sight" is the bigger, more precise type of aperture sight seen on match guns.

The Williams "FP-AG" peep has an adjustable mounting dovetail that fits a wide variety of airguns. It can be had with flush clicking screw adjusters (FP-AG) or knurled finger knobs (FP-AG TK). The Williams 5D-AG is a less expensive sight with the same adjustable dovetail, but with simple sliding adjustments instead of the clicking type.

FWB and Walther diopters DO NOT fit the 11mm rail spacing of current Weihrauch guns. Both use a slightly bigger rail spaciing (about 11.5mm). Also, older FWB and Walther models lock into transverse grooves which are not on HW's.

As noted, older Weihrauchs have 13mm groove spacing. Williams peeps fit, but the only diopters that will work are older versions of HW's own sight. I believe all HW 77's have the later 11mm grooves though.

Anschutz pioneered 11 mm grooves, which has been adopted by many other makers over the years, including HW. I really like their classic older model sights - here's one mounted on an HW 55 CM. German diopters all use the same size thread for the eye disks, which allows fitting many excellent acessories - here a Gehmann adjustable iris.

Last edited by MDriskill; 07-01-2024 at 09:24 PM.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    I think I have an Air Arms branded one in the parts box. It wouldn’t be as expensive as Anschutz or FWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Cheap solution is to mount the standard 77 rear sight at the back of the scope rail & replace the notch plate with a piece of steel with your favourite hole size drilled in it like the old Meteor Cadet peep sights.
    Cheers - yes, I've done that exact thing and it works well. Just after a slightly more refined sight but I don't need the bulk, complication or cost of a proper match type or similar.

Looking maybe for something like this:?

And it has to be low enough of course for the 77.

Last edited by felix gunner; 05-01-2024 at 09:45 AM.

This is what I have rigged up at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I thought that peep sights and diopters were one and the same thing.
    They are Andrew, I was also following the slightly American nomenclature that differentiates the two on grounds on grounds of precision/complexity. But this can be dangerous - I have competed in Open Sight competitions where diopter sights are not allowed, to hear competitors saying "Oh but this is a peep sight, not a diopter."

Cheatin' barstewards.

Yes, "peeps" and "diopters" are all APERTURE sights! Functionally identical, but with details tweaked for different uses.

A peep sight is for sporting and hunting use: typically small, light, uses a small eye disk with a big aperture mounted a bit forward, to give a good view around a moving or poorly-lit target. A diopter is for match shooting: typically bigger, more precise and complex, uses a big eye disk with a small aperture mounted closer to the eye, to give a precisely focused look at a well-lit target.

Not cast in stone of course...no law says you can't punch paper with a peep, or hunt with a diopter! Anyway, here are some of the sights I mentioned above just to show what they look like.

Note the big thumb wheel on top of the HW sight, this is a stud that positions the sight by mating up to one of the holes on top of the receiver tube. The Anschutz sight simply clamps on, so its position can be more finely adjusted.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 05-01-2024 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    I think I have an Air Arms branded one in the parts box. It wouldn’t be as expensive as Anschutz or FWB.
    Thanks, I’d be interested if you can PM me please.

Apology, as MDriskill says the FWB is sloppy. However just for fun here's Annie, Walther, and Milbro in situ or sort of.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/upPdikvJzpXmZVyx6

Quote Originally Posted by felix gunner View Post
    Cheers - yes, I've done that exact thing and it works well. Just after a slightly more refined sight but I don't need the bulk, complication or cost of a proper match type or similar.

Looking maybe for something like this:?

And it has to be low enough of course for the 77.

Wow, what is that sight??
    Too many airguns!