Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peep/aperture rear sight for a Weihrauch HW77K?

All very interesting and helpful.

Those Williams peep sights look superb but, I fear, are not available in the UK excepting at high prices.

Personally, I find shooting with peep sights (diopters included) is much more rewarding than with ordinary open sights or telescopic sights. I am potentially looking for something for my Walther LGV.

What do others experience with regard to recoil creep? Is this a problem, I wonder?

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    What do others experience with regard to recoil creep? Is this a problem, I wonder?
    I had the Gamo type dioptre on a HW35; it wouldn't stay still. Next time, I will get something with a more secure clamp.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Wow, what is that sight??
    It's a US-made Tech Sight. The "REM 200" model (designed for Remington firearms) fits Weihrauchs, and other arch-top receivers with 11mm grooves.

It's a bit hard to adjust IMHO, and has smallish ranges of adjustment, but is quite compact and extremely rugged, with a bit of a vintage military vibe to the look. They are catching on a bit over here...I used one on a Beeman R8 (HW 50) for a time, and was happy with it. If you get one, go for the optional adjustment tool, and package of alternate aperture sizes.

https://www.tech-sights.com/
    Last edited by MDriskill; 05-01-2024 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Wow, what is that sight??
    Originally I just found it googling here:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=190140.0
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Rgds
    A
    The fiddly mounting system on the Williams sights is not my favorite, but I have to say they DO hold well if mounted correctly.

The three holes on top of any Weihrauch rifle receiver are specifically designed to mate with that top thumbwheel stud bolt on their vintage diopters. Zero movement guaranteed.

I have had no issues with the old Anschutz sights either. They clamp directly to the rail for the full body of the sight, and the system is quite strong.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Those Williams peep sights look superb but, I fear, are not available in the UK excepting at high prices.

Personally, I find shooting with peep sights (diopters included) is much more rewarding than with ordinary open sights or telescopic sights. I am potentially looking for something for my Walther LGV.

Rgds
    A
    I have a Williams AG sight which I use on my HW77 & HW30S sometimes. It doesn't creep as it is made from alloy and is pretty light. It is BEAUTIFULLY made.

You can import one from the USA, yes they are relatively expensive once you have paid shipping and possibly import tax but compared to a crap scope they are cheap and very good value.

Give Airguns of Arizona a call and they will ship them to the UK (if you haven't an American friend or relative to send it on), and for $69 they are not going to break the bank. Maybe it will cost you £100 in all but they are perfect little machines, and a secondhand one in the UK will cost you the same or more.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/sig...perture-sight/

I strongly recommend you just buy one and be done with it.

Smile

I have a Beeman sight which looks very similar to the Williams!

I'm not sure if it's still on the HW35 or where it is, Not seen it in years!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hsing-ee and Mike, regarding the Williams, I see that Airguns of Arizona have two types: the one Hsing-ee links to (FP-AG-TK) which is described as being for rifles with high line of sights, and the FP-GR-TK for rifles with low line of sights. I have read elsewhere conflicting experiences fitting these to HWs; some say the low will not zero, while some cannot zero with the high. Reviews on Airguns of Arizona also suggest problems. Can either of you confirm that you have the FP-AG-TK (high line)?

Thanks,

Matt

That's very nice John (baz), very neat and looks well made.

Thanks Hsing-ee re details for Arizona.

Presumably, with the FP-AG, the sight is adjusted with a screwdriver whereas with the FP AG-TK it is clearly via the adjustable knobs.

The fly in the ointment is the issue Nikkormat now raises: some Williams sights are for high sight lines and others for low sight lines. How does one determine the difference in advance of purchase without physically fitting these sights? One ideally would seek something that is suitable to both.

Is the Weihrauch diopter still being produced or has it ceased?

Rgds
    A

A few notes:

+ The classic HW diopter as shown in my post above is no longer made. The last few years I think HW has sold a cheaper sight with a single clamp-type mounting "foot" which IMHO is not worth having.

+ If you find a used HW sight, be sure it has the correct rail spacing. HW rifles used 13mm rails up through late 700K serials (IIRC?...late 1970's), then switched to 11mm, but the sights otherwise look identical.

+ The Beeman sight IS a Williams, only the name stamped on it differs.

+ I've never had an issue with the FP-AG on any airgun. As you can see in my pics above, even on barrel-cockers with a bit of "droop" they end up on the lower part of the elevation adjustment scale.

+ The FP-GR can be problematic for HW airguns. The current model's mechanism hangs so low on the left side, that it strikes the stock wood, even on a smaller gun like the HW 30. It's really made for rimfires with 1" diameter receivers, where it will overhang the narrower stock.

+ The German auction site eGun is a fantastic source for sights, if you can get someone to ship outside of Germany! A search there for "diopter" is amazing. The infamous larger auction site can be a source too (especially a gent from Bulgaria with many interesting things). But, be patient and be able to recognize the sight you are looking for - many sellers call everything an "Anschutz!"
    Last edited by MDriskill; 08-01-2024 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, Mike.

I am very tempted by a Williams for my HW35E.

Thank you for the kind words. Aperture sights have become a companion obsession to airguns for me!

Per my note on the FP-GR above, you may find this comparison interesting. The current FP-AG has a side block the same height as the older sight on the left (in my pics above, note how closely even this comes to the wood). Older FP-GR's were similar to the sight in the middle, but the current FP-GR has "grown" a bit and again - even though it sits further aft - will hit the stock on many guns. Clearing HW's side safety button is also a problem, whereas the FP-AG will mount in front of it.

The only gun I have which "needs" an FP-GR-ish sight is the eccentric BSF S54, which combines a normal-height front sight with a barrel set well below the top of the receiver tube, and a raised rail for the diopter...!

Last edited by MDriskill; 19-01-2024 at 03:39 PM.

Anyone got any links or suppliers of anything a bit more affordable (or a cheap one to sell from the spares box?? )?

Maybe along the lines of the old SMK Dioptre sight?

I can't seem to find anything simple and compact or not a stupid (Anschutz) price...

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I picked my two Anshutz diopters 2nd hand at a reasonable price. One lives on a hw30, the other on a crosman 2250. I didn't get on with the Williams, which was a shame as it was a sod to get hold of.
    The gamo/aa really is a bit crap, hold out for a 2nd hand Anshutz.
    Good deals with these members