Thread: Predom Lucnic-----still curious

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Predom Lucnic-----still curious

I've never had a Predom Lucnic rifle or pistol. About a dozen years ago someone I knew had a pistol but sold it to someone as part of a job lot.

All i really know about them is from Danny's site https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery.com/predom-lucznic/

I'd still like to see one/ try one and strip one down, although I suppose spares would be very difficult to come by if you needed anything.

Even a rough action would satisfy my curiosity to have a look at.

Has anyone got or had one of these guns? When/ where did you buy it? I'm guessing that maybe they were imported and sold in the likes of sports/fishing tackle shops and the like , back when it was common for Newsagents and toy shops to sell Gats, Dianas and Relums?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I had a pistol about 10 years ago came in a leather holster....think made in Poland copy of a walther well made but not as refined as a walther trigger was harsh and hurt my finger .....think they fetch good money now ......first one I see for sale was at the Charing cross gun shop in the 80s

Here in the US, an importer brought in a big batch of them years ago, and sold them three at a time for under $100! I bought six with a friend and we kept the best two, ha.

Quite interesting guns, solid steel throughout (heavier than the Walther LP 53). They were used as military trainers in Poland, and are covered with military proof marks. I've never had mine apart though.

Heyy, I got one. Bought it on GunStar about 4 years ago. They are not hard to find, I think. Not sure about now. Nice pistol. Never compared it to the LP 53, so cant comment on how good it is in comparison.

The rear sights are quite nice. Overall the pistol is very solid. Plastic grips are a bit rough. One thing I find to be a big disadvantage is a suuuper long trigger pull. Adjusted it as much as I could, but there is still a long travel before the hard stop and then fire.

For someone who did not manage to get LP 53 while they were affordable, I find Predom ticks my box.

Hope this is helpful.

George

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The pistols are more powerful than the Walther they are based on.

I have had a rough LP53 and it was interesting but the alloy barrel and fat grip necessitated by the cylinder being in there made me think that a Webley Tempest was a much nicer 'trainer' pistol.

You probably won't be able to pick a Lucznik up for cheap as only collectors buy them, but they are not super-expensive either. Interesting piece of Cold War history. I bet there are a lot of men of a certain age practicing with them in Poland now Putin has set his legions on his neighbour.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 06-01-2024 at 12:12 AM.

I have one of the pistols and quite a few of the rifles have passed through my hands.
    Someone had a shipment of the pistols about 10-15 years ago and sold them quite cheap, around 500Nkr, which would be less than 50Gbp with todays exchange rate.

The rifles were plentiful back in the post war era, and these and several CZ models were what my dads generation grew up with.
    They seem to have become somewhat more collectible the last few years, but they can still be found quite cheaply along with chinese and old czech rifles at antique stores and car boot sales.

They are made in an era and place where air rifles were made the same way as firearms, with sturdy machined steel components all the way through. Stock screws sit in well made screw cups, and the parts are all quite well made. Not polished shiny like a Webley cylinder, but well machined and finished to an acceptable standard before bluing. The cylinders are well dimensioned, and I helped dad convert one of his rifles to a 28mm diana seal. We also changed the spring to one that fit the guide better, and sleeved the transfer port, which improved the firing characteristics.

Last year, I was given one of the rifles by a fried who has been dabbling in the antique trade. The only thing I did ecept cleaning and relubing, was to change the collapsed spring to a cut down HW77 spring that I think was taken from a Swedish 10joule gun. The 14,2mm spring fit snugly on the guide, and the gun is now placed at the family cabin and lives its life as a plinker there.
    Too many airguns!

Thanks for the replies.
    I'd be interested in a cheap pistol---------but probably more interested in looking at a rifle, especially considering what evert has said.

That has also given my memory a jolt! I'd be curious to look at a CZ version of the DIana 25. I was quite impressed with the BSF version (the 35 or 45?) . Oddly I found the BSF55 and the pistol to be REALLY crude.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'd be interested in a cheap pistol---------but probably more interested in looking at a rifle, especially considering what evert has said.

That has also given my memory a jolt! I'd be curious to look at a CZ version of the DIana 25. I was quite impressed with the BSF version (the 35 or 45?) . Oddly I found the BSF55 and the pistol to be REALLY crude.
    How is importing an air rifle for you these days? I have a CZ 620 that I can part with, but the postage from Norway will be quite high..
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    How is importing an air rifle for you these days? I have a CZ 620 that I can part with, but the postage from Norway will be quite high..
    I really don't do very much with air rifles these days. I've still got pistols on the table I need to get plinking with.

I've never tried importing a rifle.

I've got a couple of Relum Slavia 618's -----even smaller than a Webley Junior/Jaguar. I am quite found of the build of the Slavia ZVP pistol but they tend to shoot quite high, which spoils the fun.

I picked up a pistol in a leatherette case with all the accessories at the Melbourne Airgun Fayre for £125 IIRC. It is a but rough around the edges, but I have had it to pieces as it was slathered with oil and it kept leaking out. Polished what I could in the trigger mechanism which improved it slightly, but my longer term plan is to replace the twin springs with a single cut down one from a HW30, make a Delrin sleeve for the spring guide, possibly with a steel top hat, and sleeve the transfer port to 3mm diameter.

This has all been done to the LP53 by a UK guy called 'Steveoo' on the US site - 'Airgun Nation' see https://www.airgunnation.com/threads...r-lp53.839926/

But also further back in time on here as 'clarky' see https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...highlight=lp53
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I had one and didn't like it.
    The plastic grips are ill fitting and tend to creak as you grip the pistol.
    The trigger was weird, it seemed to rotate around the trigger finger rather than being displaced by the finger and it was harsh and painful to shoot as a result.
    The sights were pretty good to be fair but accuracy and power were lacking.
    A good curio if you can find one, especially with the original holster, but not really a shooter.