Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheer me up Lads, I'm stuck at work!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    And a few meteors for you to look at:
    Nice collection Evert is it a trick of the light but the top one looks blued, if I'm correct the and one on the left is a Mk6, it has a different stock to mine.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbuster2240 View Post
    I've always loved my Birmingham made Lightning.
    Another rifle that I have not seen, are they rare?

By the way thank you for being in the trenches with me today to the guys who responded or sent pics (now gratefully saved), you helped me through a tedious 12 hour shift!
    Last edited by Gamocfx; 09-01-2024 at 06:52 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

My Old Meteor

I still have my Dads 1973 BSA Meteor Super in .22 caliber. It’s standard and does about 9 fpe. Because it was poorly made the slot forming the breech fork is off the central axis of the cylinder by a few degrees. This means that a scope will only be in horizontal zero at one exact range. Closer and it’ll shoot off to the right, further away, off to the left. I’ve never come across this fault in another break barrel.

Anyway the plastic rear sight is long gone so I’m fixing one up from an Anschutz 335. Then I’m going to fit a parachute seal conversion from Welsh Willy. This should give me the accuracy and power I never got from this rifle while I was growing up ..

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    And a few meteors for you to look at:
    I was looking at the picture of these Meteors & it struck me that there was something strange about them. Looking as as hard as I might I still couldn't work out what was odd about them but then it dawned on me. They all have rear sights, now that's got to be unusual.

They've been looked after properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I had no idea about the forks being able to be taken off! I know very little about this sort of thing but its so good to learn something. I cant believe that pic of meteors-are they yours? It almost seems impossible that someone could have so many!? Excellent skills and as for collecting I think you win with those.
    Forks on many guns are threaded and glued, which means they they are more liable to develop leaks over time than brazed tubes.
    But it also means they can be removed and resealed, but that means you end up seeing how little care the manufacturer took in one of the most critical areas of a spring gun. No matter how well they polish and blue the finish, it really does not mean a thing if the fork threads run into the compression chamber...

And yes, the Meteors are mine, I just can't help myself when they turn up cheap
    A couple Meteors have been sold, and a few bought since that picture was taken, so there may be one or two more now
    Last edited by evert; 10-01-2024 at 09:00 AM.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    They've been looked after properly.
    Many have been bought in sorry condition, but I always try to restore them to original working condition without removing original finish.
    I've bought a few sights and trigger parts over the years
    Too many airguns!

The plastic rear sights probably fell victim to value engineering, both my Meteor and Airsporter screw fitting sights broke back in the 70s. If you look at the sight the plastic is thinner between the screw mounting and the elevation wheel.
    Just adjusting the sights must stress them and they snap directly behind the mounting screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    The plastic rear sights probably fell victim to value engineering, both my Meteor and Airsporter screw fitting sights broke back in the 70s. If you look at the sight the plastic is thinner between the screw mounting and the elevation wheel.
    Just adjusting the sights must stress them and they snap directly behind the mounting screw.
    With the design of the main plastic base of the sight there is so much stress concentrated on that thin area it is prone to failure with time as it's under too much constant load even without being adjusted. There might be a case for removing the sight & or spring for long term storage periods to protect the original components from breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    With the design of the main plastic base of the sight there is so much stress concentrated on that thin area it is prone to failure with time as it's under too much constant load even without being adjusted. There might be a case for removing the sight & or spring for long term storage periods to protect the original components from breakage.
    We're thinking along similar lines there. I managed to source an original full sight for one and base for the other. I've fitted one already the other to go on soon but I have NOT wound the elevation wheel in order to put no stress on them.
    It's interesting to note that later sights have a metal centrepiece which does the flexing.