Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a New Old BSA

Thumbs up

I got a Lightning from a friend some years ago (Got two actually but let one go to a distant family member that really wanted it!)

I really like this one and won't let it go, I found some windage adjustable mounts on fleabay that fitted the Maxi grip rail fine..

I hadn't centralised the mounts when I took this pic as can be seen from the uneven gaps in the mounts!!

I originally fitted the mounts that came in boxes with the Bushnell scopes I bought, Turned out they were 11mm, On full laft windage the groups were 5" to the right of bull!!

By the way, I had a beautiful Goldstar that I bought from a friend but like a pratt I let it go

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Another vote for the Superstar from me, probably BSAs best post war Springer, I had a corker with a WW tune, in .22, ill health forced the sale of that one, sadly

John, beautiful woodwork on the Lightning, also fantastic scoping system, full marks for uniqueness! None of these models seemed to run for long, a couple of years for the Supersport I think? Your BSA collection deserves a blue plaque!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Palmer View Post
    Another vote for the Superstar from me, probably BSAs best post war Springer, I had a corker with a WW tune, in .22, ill health forced the sale of that one, sadly
    The Superstar does look good. WW seems to do kits for everything! I may try and fit one into something one day just to measure the difference. Did they make the Superstar for long the Supersport lasted just 2 years 85 and 86

[QUOTE=Gamocfx;8278702]The Superstar does look good. WW seems to do kits for everything! I may try and fit one into something one day just to measure the difference. Did they make the Superstar for long the Supersport lasted just 2 years 85 and 86[/QUOTE

The production run for the Superstar was 1990-2004.
    I didn’t realise that they made them for that long.
    I have 3 ,a mk1 .177-mk2 .22 full length-mk2 carbine.25.
    My favourite Bsa’s.
    Les..

As you have a Supersport Carbine, you already own one of the best BSAs (which you might know)

Do you have any specific criteria for a new gun?
    Too many airguns!

Yes, a big fan of the BSA Superstar. I have several Superstars including a carbine. A .177 was tuned by WW and it is a superb performer. I have two most excellent condition Goldstars, never shot them yet! I have two Mercury S models, walnut stocks not much to write home about fairly bland. I have a couple of Challengers, one a carbine version, they are fine models too. I have RB2 Airsporter, nice looking indeed, some don't rate the RB2, but, I am happy with mine. Like the Superstars, the RB2 have the rotating breech which is extremely safe in use. All are open sight, the only scoped I have is a TX 200 HC, I find the rotary breech easy to insert a pellet than the TX200 HC. Oh, I have a 635 Magnum, it is a shame that the Green Rhinos in 0.25 are not available any more. Some say The Marksman can be used, but, even they are a bit tight to insert.

Regards to all

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Yes, a big fan of the BSA Superstar. I have several Superstars including a carbine. A .177 was tuned by WW and it is a superb performer. I have two most excellent condition Goldstars, never shot them yet! I have two Mercury S models, walnut stocks not much to write home about fairly bland. I have a couple of Challengers, one a carbine version, they are fine models too. I have RB2 Airsporter, nice looking indeed, some don't rate the RB2, but, I am happy with mine. Like the Superstars, the RB2 have the rotating breech which is extremely safe in use. All are open sight, the only scoped I have is a TX 200 HC, I find the rotary breech easy to insert a pellet than the TX200 HC. Oh, I have a 635 Magnum, it is a shame that the Green Rhinos in 0.25 are not available any more. Some say The Marksman can be used, but, even they are a bit tight to insert.

Regards to all
    The RWS hollow point in .25 are an easy fit in the bsa barrels.
    They are 25grain but still get up to speed at sub 25 yards range.
    JSR do them for £4.19 a tin.
    May be worth a look.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    As you have a Supersport Carbine, you already own one of the best BSAs (which you might know)

Do you have any specific criteria for a new gun?
    Hi Evert, I think I would like to try a Supersport Carbine in a different calibre.

Thank you les allam….

Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    The RWS hollow point in .25 are an easy fit in the bsa barrels.
    They are 25grain but still get up to speed at sub 25 yards range.
    JSR do them for £4.19 a tin.
    May be worth a look.
    Les..
    Great tip Les just picked up 2 tins of the rws .25s from our sponsor jsr at a really great price and they fit nicely in my .25 lighting ...big old things ...but I like that! I also found some new stock green rhinos for sale at another major supplier which work just as well as the old ones and seem better made....I won't run out of .25 form a while now!
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Owned three Superstars in .177 (carbine), .22 and a .25 two Goldstars in .22, about nine Airsporters including an S, RB2 Stutzen and a Centenary, a Challenger, a Mercury Magnum .25, four Lightnings and three Supersports.
    Out of the lot the ,22 Superstar was the best and the most accurate !
    Last edited by Blackrider; 29-01-2024 at 07:55 PM.
    “An airgun or two”………