Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a New Old BSA

Thinking of a New Old BSA

Hi,

I am thinking of selling or swapping a PCP in order to fund the purchase of an older BSA spring rifle. I have in mind a Supersport carbine (I already have one and I love it) but are there any other 1980s BSAs worthy of considering? There is the Goldstar but I have never shot one... cant think of any others offhand, any suggestions?

Also how much would a Supersport cost? I prefer .177 but I do understand that they are a bit rarer... I have looked on gunstar/trader but not found anything. Also the prices on those sites can be a bit odd! £329 for a BSA Super Meteor??

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will put the Walther up for sale or swap at some point on the bbs with some pics. Nothing wrong with PCPs but GGGR was probably right about sticking with the older quality stuff.

A BSA Superstar would be my option.
    Bsa’s best springer in my opinion.
    Les..

This certainly makes it worth a closer look. I believe it will have the 11mm scope rails by the mids 80's? The Mercury 13mm shallow things are a nightmare in comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    This certainly makes it worth a closer look. I believe it will have the 11mm scope rails by the mids 80's? The Mercury 13mm shallow things are a nightmare in comparison
    The Superstar as the maxi-grip scope rail fitted and is 14mm wide.but you can get the scope master mount that’s dedicated for the Maxi grip rail. And I think Sports match also do a mount that fits correctly.
    Les..

Thanks, I have never seen the rail system on a BSA... I am pretty sure my scope rails are all 11mm

Thanks, I have never seen the rail system on a BSA... I am pretty sure my scope rails are all 11mm
    The Bsa Lightning also comes fitted with the Maxi grip rail.
    Les..

Yes I believe so.... only because I am looking at the Blue Book of Airguns. I think the Brummie Lightening's maybe OK but people seem to avoid the Spanish ones. Looking at this book it seems that the Supersport was only made for a couple of years? If true that seems like an odd way to waste money on setting up a production line and tooling.

I collect older BSAs, and I would try and shoot one first to be honest, you might change your mind if you have shot modern PCPs.

I also have a early Air arms pro sport and it is like night and day compared to my BSA springers ( I have most model Airsporters including a late .177 rotary breech, Mercurys, Meteors, and a few older standard models), and it is miles in front in every way, as are the HW77/97 and TX200s.
    It might be that I am ruined shooting my Steyrs and Air arms and ISP pcps, but most BSA springers are horrible to shoot, including the later offerings as well.

Go and shoot a TX200 and you wont bother with a Supersport.
    BASC

Hi Dean,
    I already have a Supersport Carbine and I think its up there as one of my favourite guns! Mine is a mid 80s version and I know nothing really of anything later than this from BSA. I do like the build quality though which is far superior to my Gamo rifles... I would certainly consider an Air Arms as I am sure they are amongst the best springers out there.

Hi,

I am thinking of selling or swapping a PCP in order to fund the purchase of an older BSA spring rifle. I have in mind a Supersport carbine (I already have one and I love it) but are there any other 1980s BSAs worthy of considering? There is the Goldstar but I have never shot one... cant think of any others offhand, any suggestions?

Also how much would a Supersport cost? I prefer .177 but I do understand that they are a bit rarer... I have looked on gunstar/trader but not found anything. Also the prices on those sites can be a bit odd! £329 for a BSA Super Meteor??

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will put the Walther up for sale or swap at some point on the bbs with some pics. Nothing wrong with PCPs but GGGR was probably right about sticking with the older quality stuff.
    I suspect the £329 is for a new Meteor Super as opposed to the old Super Meteor. Completely different guns. Have you tried a BSA mercury? Nice shooters if in good order and a generation before the supersports.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I suspect the £329 is for a new Meteor Super as opposed to the old Super Meteor. Completely different guns. Have you tried a BSA mercury? Nice shooters if in good order and a generation before the supersports.
    I think you are right about the Meteor it must have been a new one. I have two Mercury rifles both in .22 I have had a service kit for one of them for about 6 months but time and motivation for it is lacking. I need to buy the correct sized scope rails as with advancing years the opens are not an option for me. It would be great to find a Mercury in .177 or even .25, I think one of those would be worth having.

The Airsporter never seems to get a good review and I have never owned one though I would like one in .177, that would be worth investing in a scope rail for. Are Airsporters as bad as what some reviews portray them as? They do look good!

I think you are right about the Meteor it must have been a new one. I have two Mercury rifles both in .22 I have had a service kit for one of them for about 6 months but time and motivation for it is lacking. I need to buy the correct sized scope rails as with advancing years the opens are not an option for me. It would be great to find a Mercury in .177 or even .25, I think one of those would be worth having.

The Airsporter never seems to get a good review and I have never owned one though I would like one in .177, that would be worth investing in a scope rail for. Are Airsporters as bad as what some reviews portray them as? They do look good!
    I have a few Airsporter S's and they can be very good, on both power and accuracy. Personally not as keen on the slab sided Airsporter's but they still look ok.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The Airdporter S and indeed the Mercury S do indeed look better than the standard barrel.

The Airdporter S and indeed the Mercury S do indeed look better than the standard barrel.
    I have both Airsporter S and Mercury S, theyre lovely to look at

I have a soft spot for the first Airsporter S (Mk1) from the late 70s early 80's but the triggers were basic to say the least, and they seemed to vary on power even when they were fairly new. I think the fit of the tap had a lot to do with it, and the standard of those was hit and miss, literally. Some had a good 11+ft/lbs others struggled to get 9 or 10ftlbs. Mercurys although arguably not so pretty were always pretty good, especialy the S with the heavier barrel and better hinge pin..
    BASC

I think they do look very refined and the Mercury was available in .25 I wonder was the Airsporter offered in this calibre?