Thread: Anschutz 335 (Weitschuss) Breech seal question

Question Anschutz 335 (Weitschuss) Breech seal question

Good morning. Yesterday I collected a forlorn Mk.1 335 (.22) from my RFD. Apparently, it had been standing quietly at the back of a wardrobe for the past 20 years. Condition is really good and both F&R sights are in place. Apart from the leather piston seal needing a drink of oil and the spring relubing, the rest of the rifle just needed a wipe down and the breech seal changing. Long story short... the rifle currently has a generic BSA seal fitted and is chrono'ing at around 10.5ft/lbs. If possible, I'd like to put the correct breech seal in but does anyone have a suggestion regarding the missing spacer that sits beneath the actual seal? How do other 335 owners deal with the problem? Hopefully someone here will have some wise words, Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Parascience View Post
    Good morning. Yesterday I collected a forlorn Mk.1 335 (.22) from my RFD. Apparently, it had been standing quietly at the back of a wardrobe for the past 20 years. Condition is really good and both F&R sights are in place. Apart from the leather piston seal needing a drink of oil and the spring relubing, the rest of the rifle just needed a wipe down and the breech seal changing. Long story short... the rifle currently has a generic BSA seal fitted and is chrono'ing at around 10.5ft/lbs. If possible, I'd like to put the correct breech seal in but does anyone have a suggestion regarding the missing spacer that sits beneath the actual seal? How do other 335 owners deal with the problem? Hopefully someone here will have some wise words, Thank you in advance.
    I have a first series 335 which came with a really brittle breech seal. I reckon the old one was about 4mm deep whereas the new ones which came from B&K were about 2.46mm each. So I rubbed down both faces of one (to put in first), and the inner face of the other to go on top, and got them down to about 4.26mm in total, which fitted ok and (after servicing the inside) gave me about 10.5 ft lbs which I was pretty happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pusk View Post
    I have a first series 335 which came with a really brittle breech seal. I reckon the old one was about 4mm deep whereas the new ones which came from B&K were about 2.46mm each. So I rubbed down both faces of one (to put in first), and the inner face of the other to go on top, and got them down to about 4.26mm in total, which fitted ok and (after servicing the inside) gave me about 10.5 ft lbs which I was pretty happy with.
    Thanks. I think that might be the way to go if I can’t locate a spacer. Seems an odd design decision. The RFD said that some early HW35’s used a similar system although a lot of people used to pack out the space beneath the breech seal with string. I put a few dozen shots through it today with the generic BSA seal in situ and was getting a consistent 10.3-10.5 ft/lbs so not really urgent but it would be nice to get it as originally made

The 335s are extremely accurate. The power figure you provide is about right. My 335 in 177 does, from memory, 10.5ft/lbs. Alas, I cannot give any advice on the seal but it might be worth checking Chambers and Knibbs for spares. I think, also, there is a German spares supplier which others have used here but cannot recall their details. You might also contact the factory: I found them exceedingly helpful when I did so a year or two ago. It might be that they have the part you require - nothing lost by trying.
    Rgds
    A

Like many makers Original used a 'set' breech seal but somehow machined the hole to different depths. So thin shim washers were used to solve the difference. I make mine out of sheet shim material if there's enough old stuff to measure. The genuine part is :- O/D 12.4MM I/D 7.6 O/A 4.2 Sec'n 2.4. parts should still be available but the ''stand proud of face'' is something you'd need to work out. It's possible to use an O ring but with thicker packing. If you can measure the height above face of your current seal, that's a good guide, or maybe someone on BBS would measure there's if it's still as original.

Sometimes a round or two of dental floss under the breech seal does the trick.
    Does not cost much to try
    Too many airguns!

Solved it

Thanks for the advice. After trying several options I found a solution. The generic BSA worked reasonably well but had a tendency to occasionally pull out when opening the breech. I also tried a Weihrauch seal and with a bit of sanding on the rear face that too seemed to work but still wasn't quite there.
    Then I noticed TR Robb listed the 335 breech seal - ordered one up and problem is solved. Now I know it works I'll order up a couple of extras to put away.

Quote Originally Posted by Parascience View Post
    Thanks for the advice. After trying several options I found a solution. The generic BSA worked reasonably well but had a tendency to occasionally pull out when opening the breech. I also tried a Weihrauch seal and with a bit of sanding on the rear face that too seemed to work but still wasn't quite there.
    Then I noticed TR Robb listed the 335 breech seal - ordered one up and problem is solved. Now I know it works I'll order up a couple of extras to put away.
    Thanks for that. I may do the same.