Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms Sidelever rifles

Air Arms Sidelever rifles

Hello all

As several of you are aware I have several of these in different configurations from early Sussex Armoury tactical versions up to the later wooden stocked AA models.

There do not seem to be many of these around and they are seldom mentioned on forum.

Does anyone else have these?

I really enjoy shooting them and think they are actually quite smooth and pleasant to use when set up correctly.

Opinions welcomed...

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    At the time of their introduction - late 70s early 80s - they were seen as powerful but agricultural. The sweet trigger of the Hammerli 400 series they were copies of didn’t carry across. People who liked the military look bought them - there were few military lookalikes and no air soft for that market - but they weren’t relatively cheap like BSAs and Webley compared to the German guns. There were gimmicks like autoloaders and high-level open sights for those looking for novelty. Almost no one used a Jackal or similar for early FT, certainly no one made the prize list running one. The Feinwerkau Sport, the HW35 & 80 and the Original Diana 45 set the standard and the clunky sidelevers simply weren’t as accurate by a long way.

There were issues of barrels not seating properly, allowing a gap between the tap and barrel throat that spoiled accuracy - RustyBuzz knows the story.

By the time the quality ones were produced, the HW80 and more so the almost perfect HW77 were in production. The tap-loading sidelevers, while excellent in themselves, could not compete in terms of performance and were more expensive.

I think the latter models were maybe some of the best taploaders ever made, but at a time when that format was dead. Like most other British airguns of that era they came ten years too late.

Air Arms very sensibly dropped tap-loading and copied the HW77, added useful additional features and the rest is history …

I think the stocks are nice but never liked any of them as they never lived up to the promise of a full-power Hammerli 401, a superb little rifle.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Yep, paid up member of the Jackal club...

This is my AR7 only took me about 20 years to find one with the original sight and mount.

Yes, I have one or two and am a huge fan of the Jackal concept.

I aspired to own a Firepower when I started out on my airgunning journey but it was way out of my reach at the time as I was never going to be able to afford one. Funnily enough when I did add an autoload to my collection, it was not my favourite as the mech did not seem any quicker than single loading through the tap but a lot more finnicky. I love the AR7 and the original 1979-82 Hi-Power is probably my favourite.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

That's a model I never managed to find back in my collecting days.

That is a lovely clean complete example. Nice one Harvey 👍

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Yep, paid up member of the Jackal club...

This is my AR7 only took me about 20 years to find one with the original sight and mount.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I agree with much of that from the economic and timing perspective.

The nice thing about these actions for me is that they were built with sensible piston weight, diameter and swept volume for 12ft lb and the taps seal superbly in my experience of owning 9 of these actions.

Yes tap loading went by the by for good reasons but when the system works it is efficient and safe.

These are a light, compact. 11 ft lb + action in nice stocks.

I'm a massive fan😁

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    At the time of their introduction - late 70s early 80s - they were seen as powerful but agricultural. The sweet trigger of the Hammerli 400 series they were copies of didn’t carry across. People who liked the military look bought them - there were few military lookalikes and no air soft for that market - but they weren’t relatively cheap like BSAs and Webley compared to the German guns. There were gimmicks like autoloaders and high-level open sights for those looking for novelty. Almost no one used a Jackal or similar for early FT, certainly no one made the prize list running one. The Feinwerkau Sport, the HW35 & 80 and the Original Diana 45 set the standard and the clunky sidelevers simply weren’t as accurate by a long way.

There were issues of barrels not seating properly, allowing a gap between the tap and barrel throat that spoiled accuracy - RustyBuzz knows the story.

By the time the quality ones were produced, the HW80 and more so the almost perfect HW77 were in production. The tap-loading sidelevers, while excellent in themselves, could not compete in terms of performance and were more expensive.

I think the latter models were maybe some of the best taploaders ever made, but at a time when that format was dead. Like most other British airguns of that era they came ten years too late.

Air Arms very sensibly dropped tap-loading and copied the HW77, added useful additional features and the rest is history …

I think the stocks are nice but never liked any of them as they never lived up to the promise of a full-power Hammerli 401, a superb little rifle.

The later Air Arms sidelevers were very well made and finished but it was too late. The HW77 format had been established as the best springer format for full power accuracy.

AR7 is cool looking

Harvey

I glad you posted. Those are super rare here in the US. I collect british air pistols and most Americas don t appreciate vintage air guns. I grew up in Scotland looking at Webleys in window of the sporting shop but a a lad I had no money to buy. I was just shooting my Warrior .22 and Acvoke air pistols.

Your tactical rilfes are just cool looking!

Randall

Quote Originally Posted by Re01312 View Post
    Harvey

I glad you posted. Those are super rare here in the US. I collect british air pistols and most Americas don t appreciate vintage air guns. I grew up in Scotland looking at Webleys in window of the sporting shop but a a lad I had no money to buy. I was just shooting my Warrior .22 and Acvoke air pistols.

Your tactical rilfes are just cool looking!

Randall
    Why thank you Randall
    A bit like you I could never afford one when I was younger and then motorbikes and kids meant that airguns took a back seat and all I had was very well thumbed Sussex Armoury and later Air Arms catalogues.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey...posted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/harvey...posted-public/
    Then one day just happened to be browsing in a seaside gunshop and there it was in a cabinet...
    I couldn't believe my luck

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    always a few for sale at Kempton park arms fair
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    What complete AR7's with SinglePoint sights in the correct mounts????

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    What complete AR7's with SinglePoint sights in the correct mounts????
    If only 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    What sort of money are people asking these days for a decent Hi-Power JB?

Thanks
    Matty

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I seem to recall in the £175-£275 range, depending, of course, on condition.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Here's a link to pics from the last Kempton in December.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kiSwaB1jRfVkaMEn7

Among the huge array of airguns on offer, I can see an original Parabellum with open sights, a Woodstock with open sights, an AR7 with the correct Field front sight but missing the rear, a later Woodstock based on the Hi-Power action and a later AA Hi-Power, which I think came with open sights in a separate bag.

As for an AR7 with singlepoint sight in the correct mounts, I have a story; I mentioned to one of the dealers a few fairs ago that I was after one and he offered me the next one that came up. What a result! It also came with 5 tubs of Jackal pellets.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.