Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reclamation of a Westley Richards Highest Possible pistol.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Reclamation of a Westley Richards Highest Possible pistol.

Restoration of classic vintage pistols is a controversial topjc that has often been aired on here. Emebellishments, such as decorative engraving, however well done, can be even more of a Marmite thing.

The following Highest Possible pistol came into the hands of a collector as a complete wreck, with no finish, pitting, horn grips eaten away, and mechanically non-working. After a complete mechanical overhaul and surface renovation, it was engraved and gold inlaid by one of the top (now retired) UK gun engravers, who also made the chequered grips. It was also professionally re-blued, and a bespoke case made by a noted gun-case maker.

What is the general opinion of the result? My own take is that the overall result is superb. The embellishments are by no means over the top and are in keeping with the dignity of such a classic air pistol icon.

But I know there will be those who disagree!

I should hate it but I don't. That's a very well presented classic air pistol, albeit cased in the European rather than British style.

If it was a wreck to start with, what has been done to it is not detrimental in any way and quite the opposite. Had it been a very good example to start with, my answer would probably be different.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

That is about as good as it gets. I think in this case the refinisher has added to what a WR can be and thats much better than a rusty original for sure. I would be curious as to how much this pistol is worth now? My only change would have been to use ebony for the grip like all the accessories, the brown looks a little out of place? (How about that for being super picky) But I’m in love!!

I have seen these in nickle that have been refinished and usually the nickle on these are so bad I think a refinish adds a lot? I know that would be a little more contraversial?
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-01-2024 at 02:55 PM.

Exactly what John M said. Plus I think it's been beautifully finished. It must have cost a pretty penny to have all that work done!

The more I see these salvaged Highest Possibles, presented by proud owners like Steve and this one's, I can't help but marvel at their attractions from a collector's point of view. I would put them in precisely the same desirability category as the Webley Mk2 Service; never-to-be-repeated British anomalies that were popular enough in their day to be made in quite large quantities and highly valued today for their obvious qualities as functional vintage airguns.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    I have to agree with the above comments, l don't like refinished guns, but like what as been said, with it being in such a bad state and missing parts, l can see why the owner went to all that trouble and expence to have all that done to it. not that it is something that l would have done, but it does look really nice, but for me it don't make it a more desirable pistol, nothing like having a factory off the line pistol.

I'm not normally a fan of engraving on airguns, but that is very tastefully done.

And the fact that it was a saved basket case makes it even more acceptable.

A "before" pic would be nice.

I've never found any engraved airguns appealing but for some reason I quite like this.
    It could be because the pistol has such a unique shape and the engraving seems to accentuate this, rather than look out of place.

The case is lovely too.
    Surprisingly nice job.

Matt

I think the engraving looks right on this pistol because it is an older, more classical design? Reminds me of all the engraved presentation Colts.

As it started out as a non-working wreck the pistol has undergone an amazing transformation. Also it would seem, in this instance, engraving is not really out of place taking into account all the work required to get it to that state although, like many others, I am not a fan of engraved air pistols.

I assume this is a screwdriver? Different heads in the base? That case is of the “highest possible” quality. A French casing has an elegance to it, though I prefer a English style.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I assume this is a screwdriver? Different heads in the base? That case is of the “highest possible” quality. A French casing has an elegance to it, though I prefer a English style.
    I think it's a handle for the pull-through, which screws on to the rod.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think it's a handle for the pull-through, which screws on to the rod.
    Yes I see that now. A good casing should have a turn screw!!! Harder to add all the little extras with a French casing, maybe thats for the best?
    Last edited by 45flint; 23-01-2024 at 06:00 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    I'm not normally a fan of engraving on airguns, but that is very tastefully done.

And the fact that it was a saved basket case makes it even more acceptable.

A "before" pic would be nice.
    Yes a before photo would be nice, if they did take one.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

What is the general opinion of the result? My own take is that the overall result is superb. The embellishments are by no means over the top and are in keeping with the dignity of such a classic air pistol icon.

But I know there will be those who disagree!
    Not me. I think it's absolutely stunning! Considering its sad prior condition, I feel the incredible amount of time and artistry involved in the restoration is more of a reverential act of admiration to a classic air pistol, far from the sacrilegious defilement that a lot of collectors, myself included, would view it had it been done to a minty Highest Possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Exactly what John M said. Plus I think it's been beautifully finished. It must have cost a pretty penny to have all that work done!

The more I see these salvaged Highest Possibles, presented by proud owners like Steve and this one's, I can't help but marvel at their attractions from a collector's point of view. I would put them in precisely the same desirability category as the Webley Mk2 Service; never-to-be-repeated British anomalies that were popular enough in their day to be made in quite large quantities and highly valued today for their obvious qualities as functional vintage airguns.
    I agree but the Webley MK2 was made in quite large quantities (15,000); the Westley Richards is about 1200 pistols.
    Last edited by 45flint; 24-01-2024 at 08:38 AM.