Thread: Zephyr internals - big surprise

Zephyr internals - big surprise

Hi All

I recently purchased a very very tired and sad-looking MK2 1986 HW77K in .177. Bluing stripped off most of it, mole grip marks and other nicks in several places - not a good looking action. Stock very worn and scratched.

There is no front end on the barrel and there are file marks where the barrel was made narrower to accommodate some sort of alternative front end.

I have made up a standard MK2 underlever catch out of bits but I am missing the little steel tube which goes around the screw which holds in the sliding catch. Chambers list this in their exploded diagram as W110 but it's then not listed in the actual parts for sale list. Any idea wherer I can get one or what the dimensions are to make one please?

ANYWAY...

I got the gun to fire once I'd purchased an new cocking lever as this was missing entirely. The shot cycle was nice and smooth and quick and I was pleasantly surprised.

I have now stripped the gun and low and behold we have the green coated Zephyr 25mm piston with the "Crows Foot" seal!

I do wonder about this action... was it originally a Zephyr and lost its walnut stock and "barrel weight/moderator" front end? The underlever is a std "slider hole" end, not a ball or a ball-cup.

The gun looks awful but shoots very sweetly. I didn't measure the TP unfortunately before cleaning relubing and rebuilding so I don't know if this has been enlarged to 3mm or 3.2mm which was a popular thing to do - maybe not on the Zephyr though?

Cheers
    Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I have made up a standard MK2 underlever catch out of bits but I am missing the little steel tube which goes around the screw which holds in the sliding catch. Chambers list this in their exploded diagram as W110 but it's then not listed in the actual parts for sale list. Any idea wherer I can get one or what the dimensions are to make one please?

Great project. The bush is 6.93 mm long x 4.73 dia. x 3 bore.
    Measured by Aldi vernier and drill bit.
    For info. They don't all have that set up some have deeper boss on the slider which keys into the plunger.
    If all else fails a cabinet catch can be pressed into the block as permanent/temporary fix easily reversible. Granny/eggs etc
    Last edited by deejayuu; 25-01-2024 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post

Great project. The bush is 6.93 mm long x 4.73 dia. x 3 bore.
    Measured by Aldi vernier and drill bit.
    For info. They don't all have that set up some have deeper boss on the slider which keys into the plunger.
    If all else fails a cabinet catch can be pressed into the block as permanent/temporary fix easily reversible. Granny/eggs etc

Thanks for you kind effort mate. What is a cabinet catch?

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Zephyr internals - big surprise

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Thanks for you kind effort mate. What is a cabinet catch?

Matty
    https://www.diydirect.com/ball-catch...IaAgc2EALw_wcB

Nice one. Thank you

Matty

The Airgun Centre offered the Zephyr conversion without the lovely walnut stock. I have a Zephyr mk2 HW77 myself that I bought in a standard stock.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

This one we did earlier. Mk1 but done MK2/3 too

Great info Simon. Thank you. Mystery solved 😊

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    The Airgun Centre offered the Zephyr conversion without the lovely walnut stock. I have a Zephyr mk2 HW77 myself that I bought in a standard stock.

Great ingenuity and invisible. Thank you for taking the time to share these photos 😎

I love that sort of clever fix 👍

I'm very lucky to have a friend locally who is a qualified clock maker. He ran a spacer up for me on his Myford ML7 this afternoon which means I'm able to keep the gun original... Which is nice 😊

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    This one we did earlier. Mk1 but done MK2/3 too

77 mk2

I have a complete MK2 front end in the spares box if interested? Mach 1.5

Thanks mate. I am now sorted 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    I have a complete MK2 front end in the spares box if interested? Mach 1.5

Wink

I'm very lucky to have a friend locally who is a qualified clock maker. He ran a spacer up for me on his Myford ML7 this afternoon which means I'm able to keep the gun original... Which is nice 😊

Matty[/QUOTE]

Ah! Well done. Friends in low places eh?