Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New vid: 100yrs Air Pistols pt4 1979-1989

HW45 was designed for customers in the 1980s. Everybody wanted a 45 Longslide With Der Laser Sighting…

Nobody has the right to shoot that well, must be a trick....

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    yep,must be CGI,his hand is too steady.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Try shooting a Relum Hurricane with a loose hold!
    Maybe it;s because spares are hard to find and people are reluctant to try to "tune" them?
    It wasn't until I found I could shoot groups with the shoulder stock fitted that I realised it needs a FIRM grip without the stock.
    I grip the thing tighter than I would Margot Robbie, if she bent over in front of me wearing her Harley Quinn costume.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Don't forget, Matt edits his own video. Each accurate shot could have taken ten takes for all we know.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Don't forget, Matt edits his own video. Each accurate shot could have taken ten takes for all we know.
    As camera woman Mariana wouldn’t have put up with that

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Regarding the 45 and the tight gripped ‘combat hold’, in my book that’s not how you are supposed to shoot air pistols, if you have hold it that tight it makes me think it’s a flawed design. Sorry.

Unfortunately out of the 50 odd pistols I shoot in all 5 videos only the record LP2, Crosman Medallist and the HW45 are still available, so I appreciate people have to find a way to make it work, and it’s good that some have.

I can see why people like the fact that it looks like a giant colt automatic, but personally I think it’s a vulgarisation of the original Webley Mk1 design.

The only one I’ve shot that was consistently accurate (and the owner had even managed to zero it in!) had a red dot on. Given what oldskoolz said I wonder if a red dot alters the balance a bit and makes it more forgiving?

Each to their own, and hats off to anyone who can get some precision out of one. That’ll be my new mission!
    Cheers,
    Matt
    Ahh - that might be the issue, although the style of grip is the combat hold, the trick is to hold the pistol very lightly. I grip the front of the pistol grip with the inside of the 2nd joints of the the 1st three fingers and lightly rest the the pad of the palm against the right hand side. The thumb wraps around the grip but doesn't touch it and the other hand just cups the gripping hand. So it looks like a combat grip but isn't because if you tried it on a real 1911 you'd end up having to extract the gun from your eye socket!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    It just misses the mark when it’s obvious the intention was a clone? I could just never buy it no matter how good it was.

The HW45 is to an actual 45 as a clown shoe is to a nice wingtip.

Last edited by PaulK62; 27-01-2024 at 02:53 AM.

More to the point, thanks for Pt4, Matt. I've enjoyed watching the entire series, and I'm looking forward to seeing which guns you choose for Pt5.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Matt, great vid again, but to modern pistols for me to get excited about.

Nice video Matt - Thanks

As a ex .45 Colt Longslide shooter I ordered a Beeman P1 (US version of HW45) back in the day when you could order airguns from the US and have them delivered in 3 days by USPS

It was nicely made, but hard to shoot accurately and eventually I sold it.

To me the highlight of the pistols of this video is the Hy-Score. A bit of a presentation dilemma for Matt given he has the much later British version but it really deserves to compete in an earlier video. There it would really show how innovative this air pistol was at the time and the fact that it lasted for such a long run is a testiment as well. I have both the early American version and the later UK version. I love the UK version but is shooting both the early American version is a bit smoother? Here is the American version in very rare factory cases. It was designed to imitate the look of a Luger. Just a little better job than the HW45!

Last edited by 45flint; 27-01-2024 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    To me the highlight of the pistols of this video is the Hy-Score. A bit of a presentation dilemma for Matt given he has the much later British version but it really deserves to compete in an earlier video. There it would really show how innovative this air pistol was at the time and the fact that it lasted for such a long run is a testiment as well. I have both the early American version and the later UK version. I love the UK version but is shooting both the early American version is a bit smoother? Here is the American version in very rare factory cases. It was designed to imitate the look of a Luger. Just a little better job than the HW45!

I know what you mean, would have sat nicely in part 2 between the Zenit and Walther LP53. The U.K. one would have looked too modern though, with the silencer/ muzzle break. It’s the only one I have so it’ll have to do.

Lovely examples there, like the us case.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I know what you mean, would have sat nicely in part 2 between the Zenit and Walther LP53. The U.K. one would have looked too modern though, with the silencer/ muzzle break. It’s the only one I have so it’ll have to do.

Lovely examples there, like the us case.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Matt watching how easily you cocked that Hy-Score Sporter, it wasn't so much a silencer/muzzle break as a cocking aid.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Is no one going to point out the typo in the video ??😉