Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bsa cadet manufacture numbers

bsa cadet manufacture numbers

does anyone have an idea of cadet numbers from the BC range?it was quite a long period compared to the other letter prefixes so i'm thinking quite a lot.it seems across the cadet manufacture there was little change apart from the rear fixing and the various types of wood/splicing.i have had several cadets over the years,none with a beech stock.

Mine's only four digits after the BC.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 27-01-2024 at 05:43 PM.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

i have 2 BC in the 11000-12000 range.

Mine is BC 50***

As can be seen here - https://www.ihunter.co.uk/bsa-prefix-codes/ the BC range of serials ran for 11 years, from 1951 to 1962, while the B prefix ran for only the first year of manufacture, and the BA prefix for 4 years, so it should hardly be surprising that the BC prefix covers a wide numerical range.
    I have no idea how many BSA Cadets were made in total, however, or whether a change of prefix denotes changes to the rifle itself, it being perfectly possible that BSA changed the prefix either upon the start of a new year or upon manufacture of a new variant. Does anyone know which method BSA used ?

i was assuming that that when the pre fix letter changed the number started at 1 but that is only an assumption,i have a B at 18***.many cadets would have survived and the stamping is quite deep so the numbers would be visible even on rough examples(mostly)

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    does anyone have an idea of cadet numbers from the BC range?it was quite a long period compared to the other letter prefixes so i'm thinking quite a lot.it seems across the cadet manufacture there was little change apart from the rear fixing and the various types of wood/splicing.i have had several cadets over the years,none with a beech stock.

According to previously published information, Prefix 'BC' ran from July 1951 to 1959, numbers 1000 to 62000, so 61000 produced.

Info from BSA production records apparently supplied by BSA.

Part of the problem is that while the prefixes are very probably standard throughout a particular variant's production, we don't know for sure whether there are slight variations that BSA didn't feel warranted a new prefix but which DID affect the serial number, hence the discrepancies in the number of digits after the prefix.
    Nor do we know whether the serials begin at (for example) 1, 001, 0001, etc, or whether the leading digit(s) have some significance, which is not unusual practice in manufacture.
    I think we're probably stuck without BSA's factory records which have very likely vanished into the mists of time, or at least some knowledge of their approach to serialisation, which might give some clues.

thanks for that information,that would give a rough idea of the year for a number within the BC range,it would also be of interest to know when the beech stocks were used,were they toward the end of production or just dropped in now and again?

I have a very strong suspicion that BSA were either left with a large stock of English Walnut after WWII, when they produced a lot of military firearms, or could perhaps acquire remaining government stock being sold off as surplus at a very low price, hence them using English Walnut for air rifle stocks for some years.
    I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Airsporter Mk1/Mk2 3-piece stocks were made from off-cuts from some other process, though I have nothing to support this except why would you make a (weaker) 3-piece stock if there was no reason to ?

[Historical note] Almost all the walnut trees is Britain were cut down during WWII to provide wood for rifle stocks or other strategic uses, and as it's a slow-growing species they are now rather rare. I daresay a few survived in out-of-the-way places or in the gardens of those in a position to forbid their cutting down. I know of a couple in a garden in Pant/Llanymynech, south of Oswestry, but that's all.

I always wondered about the 3 piece stock. It must have been cheaper and there would have been loads of off cuts to make the forends with.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I always wondered about the 3 piece stock. It must have been cheaper and there would have been loads of off cuts to make the forends with.
    Indeed. It would be interesting to compare the early Airsporter butt stocks with those of the Lee-Enfield rifle to see if they could be made from the same blank, as BSA might have had plenty of those left over from wartime production, and then marry them up with off-cuts to make the fore-end. That way, the whole stock might have been effectively "free" to BSA.

i've always thought that the 3 piece stocks were rather elaborate and difficult to make,they must have had a good reason to do so and maybe the reasoning above is correct.can't say i've seen other stock makers using the same method.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    Part of the problem is that while the prefixes are very probably standard throughout a particular variant's production, we don't know for sure whether there are slight variations that BSA didn't feel warranted a new prefix but which DID affect the serial number, hence the discrepancies in the number of digits after the prefix.
    Nor do we know whether the serials begin at (for example) 1, 001, 0001, etc, or whether the leading digit(s) have some significance, which is not unusual practice in manufacture.
    I think we're probably stuck without BSA's factory records which have very likely vanished into the mists of time, or at least some knowledge of their approach to serialisation, which might give some clues.
    The gun ledgers haven't vanished, we have them here at John Knibbs International

https://www.airgunspares.com/bsagunh...ngservice.html

cadet

Many different stocks for them i have beech walnut maybe a maple 1 also a red wood version with a fully chequered stock
    only seen 1 of those

sadly they are worth more in bits than complete but great fun
    some are majors