Thread: A unique and intriguing Acvoke pistol

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

A unique and intriguing Acvoke pistol

This very unusual Acvoke has recently surfaced, its most obvious distinctive feature being the brown grip plates, as all known retailed Acvokes had black plates.

Closer examination also shows that the cylinder breech has a different form to the norm, and consists of a discrete machined plug let in flush with the grip frame. The normal breech closure shown in the right hand picture takes the form of a cap that fits over the grip frame:

The gun is clearly an early version, as it has the early cocking lever with pellet seater, and has no serial number. The grip plates are professionally made and almost certainly original. They have the same 1947 date and other markings molded on their inner surfaces as the normal early black grips. The brown mottling effect, something very difficult for the amateur duplicate, has the same quality as that found on brown Webley grips.

Although it has no serial number, the muzzle plug is stamped with “A5” , perhaps a prototype reference number?

The gun looks to be in excellent condition, has had little use, and appears to have had no restoration work.

So what is it? My best guess is that it is an early prototype. This would be consistent with the known existence of two prototype bodies, with no serial number, that were found accompanied by a .22 barrel, a barrel with a cork-firing adapter, and sets of black and brown grips. It is believed that these were demonstrators used by J.B.Arrowsmith (the designer) in the early days of the pistol.

If Accles & Shelvoke were initially considering both black and brown grip plates, I wonder why they opted for black? To my eyes, the brown plates are classier and suit the pistol much better.

The pistol is now in the possession of Protek Supplies and will no doubt be appearing on their website shortly.

Always great when these unusual and extremely rare items turn up after decades hidden in somebody’s possession. I would agree that the brown grips do look better in the absence of some nice wood ones.

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi John, another bit of airgun mystery for us to ponder over, yes l would go along with your view that it is a prototype, the only reason that l can think that they changed from the prototype, is the manufacturing cost involved, same with the brown grips, although it would have been only shillings at the time it would mounted into pounds at the end of the financial year. it does seem like they had already set up the body tool pressing process though.

I must admit, those brown grips plates are very attractive.

Thanks for sharing John.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Good looking and a great find.

Great learning new things

Thanks for sharing the Acvoke in brown, only one I ever seen.

Regards,

Randall

looks very nice