Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Perhaps Overlooked Weihrauch HW70

The Perhaps Overlooked Weihrauch HW70

I’ve recently purchased a boxed as new mint example Weihrauch HW70 think it’s around 2018 (waiting for confirmation) so a later version.

It’s a lovely pistol and good fun especially as a garage plinker not my usual pistol thrills route but it’s grabbed me

I don’t come across many threads about the 70 is it perhaps overlooked nowadays?

Ok aesthetically it’s not exactly modern the replica co2 stuff aside what should an air pistol actually look like?

I’ve briefly owned a couple of the older version a few years back but ran in to an issue regards the piston seal on one really early version which the seal was now factory discontinued.

However now I’ve got the later version it doesn’t concern me as parts aren’t an issue.

Interested to hear if any of you folks are still rocking the HW70?

If so what’s your experiences like?

Me likey its different and I’ve a thing for the underdog

I have turned don two opportunities to buy them, as they seem to be made with a lot of zink/zamac/potmetal, and that puts me off..

But I guess that might not stop them from shooting OK?
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I have turned don two opportunities to buy them, as they seem to be made with a lot of zink/zamac/potmetal, and that puts me off..

But I guess that might not stop them from shooting OK?
    I’m not sure what materials are used

Can’t say I found anything of concern apart from the seal issue on one I previously stripped down (an early one)

I guess some may feel the same with the 44/110 although I’ve always liked the 110 even though it’s got a big chunk of plastic

I have seen various threads on a US site that shows some love for it over there:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hw70.1299868/

It got me a little interested, but can't justify the cost of one for casual plinking. Picked up a Snowpeak SP500 last week that is the same principle and is nice to shoot after sorting out the heavy trigger, but it will not be the quality of the HW70...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I have seen various threads on a US site that shows some love for it over there:

https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hw70.1299868/

It got me a little interested, but can't justify the cost of one for casual plinking. Picked up a Snowpeak SP500 last week that is the same principle and is nice to shoot after sorting out the heavy trigger, but it will not be the quality of the HW70...
    Cheers Mark,

I’ll take a look at the link.

I don’t think I’d ever pay retail on the 70 especially with how much they have risen that’s if you can find one nowadays as they seem quite scarce.

I’m chuffed with my used purchase as it’s practically brand new and was a good price

My mate has got a standard one and a Black Arrow version (barrel weight and scope).
    He shoots them very competitively in pistol HFT.
    I had one but I couldn't get on with the trigger, the adjustment only seemed to alter the pull weight and I could never get it to the point where I was sure exactly when the shot was going to go - there seemed to me no definitive 1st or 2nd stage. Might have been just that one gun I s'pose?
    They seem well enough put together, although I have noticed on the later examples I've seen (brand new) in the dealers that there is a distinct colour mismatch on the metal parts, I think some is anodised and some blued and they don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    My mate has got a standard one and a Black Arrow version (barrel weight and scope).
    He shoots them very competitively in pistol HFT.
    I had one but I couldn't get on with the trigger, the adjustment only seemed to alter the pull weight and I could never get it to the point where I was sure exactly when the shot was going to go - there seemed to me no definitive 1st or 2nd stage. Might have been just that one gun I s'pose?
    They seem well enough put together, although I have noticed on the later examples I've seen (brand new) in the dealers that there is a distinct colour mismatch on the metal parts, I think some is anodised and some blued and they don't agree.
    Always wanted that Black Arrow version

Cracking that he’s rocking the 70 competitively.

I find the trigger on my one fairly decent to be fair and I’m a fussy bugger with triggers.

I don’t think it’s ever been tweaked or probably ever been adjusted as the previous chap claimed he hardly used it as he was more of a collector (he has all the HW pistols collection boxed)

I’ll have a really close look at mine the next time I get it out for a session regards the colour match as it’s got me curious now but to be fair at it’s price point (used) I bought it on first impressions which were glowing as it looked brand new and I’m a sucker for the original box

I think as well that the HW70 has a ball detente barrel lock-up, is it the only Weihrauch that does?
    I wonder if they bought the design rights from someone else? It looks to my eyes more like something from the mind of Fritz Barthelms than Hans Weihrauch.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I think as well that the HW70 has a ball detente barrel lock-up, is it the only Weihrauch that does?
    I wonder if they bought the design rights from someone else? It looks to my eyes more like something from the mind of Fritz Barthelms than Hans Weihrauch.
    The HW30 rifle is ball detente think the now discontinued HW25 also had ball detente (unsure though was year’s ago when I had one for my lad)

Stumbled upon the TG review earlier.

Makes good reading Bob if you are interested in the 70 although you may have read it before?

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013...pistol-part-1/

I find going to the last blog helps chose the previous chapters

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2013...pistol-part-4/

I notice his comments on the metalwork;

Extensive use is made of aluminum in the construction of this pistol. The spring tube and outer barrel jacket are made of it, but the true barrel is a thin steel tube inside the outer jacket. The finish is a dark black epoxy that will fool everyone into thinking it’s black oxide, which is what we commonly call bluing.

I had a closer look at mine earlier the colour match is superb it’s all the same nice finish.

Had confirmation from the horses mouth my recent purchase comes back as a 2019 model year.

So a fairly late one.

Anyone else rocking the 70? I can’t be the only one that’s into them

I seem to find myself drawn to them, particularly the Black Arrow (why is it made of BROWN plastic?) but have never seen one in the flesh, maybe Weihrauch will have them at the British Shooting Show in February?

Saw this one for sale, but £220 and no scope! Really?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pi...40207151615472
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I seem to find myself drawn to them, particularly the Black Arrow (why is it made of BROWN plastic?) but have never seen one in the flesh, maybe Weihrauch will have them at the British Shooting Show in February?

Saw this one for sale, but £220 and no scope! Really?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pi...40207151615472
    Not sure about them at the show Mark it seems Weihrauch U.K. don’t even list the HW70

https://weihrauch.co.uk/pistols

But Weihrauch sport Germany obviously still list them

https://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-pistols?lang=en

Perhaps they don’t sell very well over here or just not very popular.

Even used they only pop up occasionally unlike the 45 that’s Uber popular.

HW70 Black Arrow

I've got one up in the loft somewhere

I don't think that I've ever fired it

It came with a pistol 'scope that I tried on one of my HW45s, but prefer using the open sights.

I think I've also got a red dot sight that came with the HW70 too......I really ought to have rummage round and see what I've got in stock
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

I love the HW70. A superb garden plinker and target pistol alike. With the added bonus that it looks like an air pistol rather than a replica!!!