Thread: Airsporter MK5 valuation (sort of)

Airsporter MK5 valuation (sort of)

Good evening gents,
    I have this rifle, as above that belonged to an old friend of mine & have offered to buy from his widow or sell it on, Unfortunately
    it was well rusted, my friend was ill for a long time so I suppose it was just forgotten about, I don't know where he acquired it but it had a hard life it would not cock which has been sorted, both sights are missing but it does have a
    Japanese "hunter" 4x20 scope & mounts on it which some folk might call "period" frankly it would be better with the iron sights, it shoots O.K., sure it would do better with decent sights, the action is quite smooth & the stock is very good. I removed the rust with an old penny & Young's .303 oil, yes I still use it, looks presentable but obviously needs reblueing. so the question is how much should I attempt to sell it for or buy it myself for a fair price?
    Thanks for your time,
    Elwellaxe.
    P.S.
    There is a similar story to come involving an H.W. 35E but I'd like to get the B.S.A. sorted first.

A bit tricky to value because of the unknowns:
    - “cocking problem sorted” how? I’ve restored quite a few Airsporters and they often need piston head attention, spring replacement etc If it was jammed, was there any other damage from forced cocking?
    - How’s it shooting now (Chrono power??)
    -externals can devalue it quite a bit (woodwork & metalwork can take a bit of effort obviously to get it looking good) Pictures would help
    - open sights missing is quite common

I’ve bought them for £30-50 in rough condition

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Rough guns can't be brought back to new economically, your £120 for a re blue to begin with, you don't know what condition the internals are in - but they are probably 35/40 years old The scope is worth basically nothing other than a story, and even if you refinish the stock yourself it's all adding up to a labour of love rather than ever getting your money back for time and effort.

Basically, £50 if you want a project, but only if you want it or are doing them a favour by taking it
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Rough guns can't be brought back to new economically, your £120 for a re blue to begin with, you don't know what condition the internals are in - but they are probably 35/40 years old The scope is worth basically nothing other than a story, and even if you refinish the stock yourself it's all adding up to a labour of love rather than ever getting your money back for time and effort.

Basically, £50 if you want a project, but only if you want it or are doing them a favour by taking it
    Agree around £50

Airsporter M.K. 5

Thanks for the advice gents. I will be posting on the H.W.35 next.
    Elwellaxe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwellaxe View Post
    Thanks for the advice gents. I will be posting on the H.W.35 next.
    Elwellaxe.
    That should be worth quite a bit more than the Airsporter if it’s a 35E. Easy to be work on, spares plentiful & usually respond well to a bit of TLC. In my opinion a far better rifle (I have a few)
    Good luck 🤞 hope it’s in reasonable condition

id say 50 is fair