Thread: Webley pistol experts please

Webley pistol experts please

When I aquire Webley pistols I usually sell them on. Just got this one and have a couple of queries. Is the case a Webley air pistol type, or was it originally for one of their firearms ? Also is it best to leave the pistol in its current condition or reblue it ? I have reblued a couple of these old ones in the past but it seems collectors may like them in their old patina. This pistol has impressed me with its power ouput of 400 fps with 7grn Geco, I have never seen this result on my chrono before for an old Webley. If the case is correct, what would value be please ?

Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Certainly looks like a genuine Webley case. These are Guys pistols from the R7OC Forum, Lovely looking bits.. Col.
    https://www.rapid7ownersclub.co.uk/f...ey-air-pistols

[QUOTE=Benelli B76;8282303]When I aquire Webley pistols I usually sell them on. Just got this one and have a couple of queries. Is the case a Webley air pistol type, or was it originally for one of their firearms ? Also is it best to leave the pistol in its current condition or reblue it ? I have reblued a couple of these old ones in the past but it seems collectors may like them in their old patina. This pistol has impressed me with its power ouput of 400 fps with 7grn Geco, I have never seen this result on my chrono before for an old Webley. If the case is correct, what would value be please ?

Baz

I believe these pre-war canvas cases normally housed the Slant Grip Senior as is the case with my own example. An original oil can and pellet tin to complete the set can cost as much if not more than the pistol itself. Unless the pistol were in relic condition, I avoid anything other than sympathetic, light cleaning. In my estimation, an original canvas case in good condition should be worth £100-£200 on its own.

Brian

I would not even think of re-bluing it - like the old cliché it's only original once...
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

Totally agree with the above comments. The case is fine (original, but not to this pistol) the pistol is fine in terms of bluing too. If it’s natural wear on the bluing then best to leave as is - a light ‘preservation’ to remove any rust spots and stabilise, and maybe a light coating of Renaissance wax (though probably not necessary if it’ll be regularly used and oiled). No problem obviously with a spring and seal replacement.

There’d be no harm in carefully gluing back the baize where it is peeling at the edges, and I may want to get the stitching looked at IF where any missing means that the case will deteriorate further with handling - but it’d need doing sympathetically. That said, stitching looks fine. Can’t do much about the holes though.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Totally agree with the above comments. The case is fine (original, but not to this pistol) the pistol is fine in terms of bluing too. If it’s natural wear on the bluing then best to leave as is - a light ‘preservation’ to remove any rust spots and stabilise, and maybe a light coating of Renaissance wax (though probably not necessary if it’ll be regularly used and oiled). No problem obviously with a spring and seal replacement.

There’d be no harm in carefully gluing back the baize where it is peeling at the edges, and I may want to get the stitching looked at IF where any missing means that the case will deteriorate further with handling - but it’d need doing sympathetically. That said, stitching looks fine. Can’t do much about the holes though.
    I could have it looking like the others I blued if it would increase value.
    Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I could have it looking like the others I blued if it would increase value.
    Baz
    [IMG][/IMG]
    As you said in your initial post, most collectors prefer unmolested examples with refinishing adding little or nothing to the commercial value.

Brian

Hi Baz,

Yes, this is a genuine 1930s Webley case intended for the slant grip Senior. The slant grip Mk 1 can just about fit but not as snuggly as the Senior. The straight grip Mk 1 you have in the case was not intended for it and unlikely to be original to the case, likewise with the post war pellet tin, so I would seek out a nice pre war slant grip Senior for the case or sell it separately from the Mk 1.

A great find, whichever way you look at it.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    A Nice find that case, pity about the holes in it, looks like where woodworms have come out, and like what as been said above, a reblue would not had much value, but some people do like them looking like new, but l am not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    A Nice find that case, pity about the holes in it, looks like where woodworms have come out, and like what as been said above, a reblue would not had much value, but some people do like them looking like new, but l am not one of them.
    Glad to say it has a new home with someone who appreciates it. So two happy people. I did not realise how rare these cases are.

Baz