Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New on the Saleroom auction site

Quote Originally Posted by tjg View Post
    Having never purchased from an auction house,can somebody tell me if they will post to me,or does it have to go through an RFD..Thanks Tim
    You can collect in person if not most will post pre 1939 Airguns can be posted straight to you. Anything after 1939 if posted has to be via an RFD.
    Cheers
    Dave
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dai.T View Post
    You can collect in person if not most will post pre 1939 Airguns can be posted straight to you. Anything after 1939 if posted has to be via an RFD.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Thank you Dave.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Sold this Certus for £600 at a Kempton Park meet.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I was only following a couple:

Pardini P10 went for £160 + fees, Osprey supertarget £150 and mk2 Webley target pistol £340.
    Plus at Wilson & Wilson a tell 3 for £320.

A few bargains there.

Matt
    Hey Matt,

Much to my own surprise I won the Pardini and the 'Original Model 1' AKA an Originall Model 10. I blame you entirely for the Model 10 as I wouldn't have known of the Giss system without your informative videos! 🤣

I hadn't actually intended to bid on any items but, after logging on, the room seemed 'subdued' so I put in low offers and won! I was lucky as I had relatives in the area who could collect for me but Dukes weren't offering RFD to RFD transfer which seemed bizarre given the sale. Still, think it helped me (hopefully) get a bargain. May be a little while before I get the P10 but I will report back when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland551 View Post
    Hey Matt,

Much to my own surprise I won the Pardini and the 'Original Model 1' AKA an Originall Model 10. I blame you entirely for the Model 10 as I wouldn't have known of the Giss system without your informative videos! 🤣

I hadn't actually intended to bid on any items but, after logging on, the room seemed 'subdued' so I put in low offers and won! I was lucky as I had relatives in the area who could collect for me but Dukes weren't offering RFD to RFD transfer which seemed bizarre given the sale. Still, think it helped me (hopefully) get a bargain. May be a little while before I get the P10 but I will report back when I do.
    Hi,
    glad to hear you picked up those pistols, that's a great price for a P10 and it looked very nice. The Mod 10 is a great pistol too.

Let us know how you get on with them.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Sold this Certus for £600 at a Kempton Park meet.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    I was offered this pistol some years ago Baz IIRC for more than £600 but I passed on it because I can't get on with refinished guns. I don't really regret it now, much though I would like a Certus. Has anyone successfully distressed a refinished gun so the finish looked good but original?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I was offered this pistol some years ago Baz IIRC for more than £600 but I passed on it because I can't get on with refinished guns. I don't really regret it now, much though I would like a Certus. Has anyone successfully distressed a refinished gun so the finish looked good but original?
    About 10 years ago I worked on a hot bluing recipe that would reproduce the pre-war 'blue' found on most pistols - especially Webleys- which is slightly greyer and bluer than the usual postwar deep ebony black. When I was happy with the result I reblued a straight grip Webley Mark 1, which had lost virtually all of its original finish, but amazingly had no pitting and still had crisp lettering. I then distressed it to match a similar Mark 1 which had all its original blue. Here are the two together. I did not keep a record of the serial numbers, and after ten years I genuinely do not know which is which. So although one can be critical about refinishing vintage guns, it does not always have to be aesthetically annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    About 10 years ago I worked on a hot bluing recipe that would reproduce the pre-war 'blue' found on most pistols - especially Webleys- which is slightly greyer and bluer than the usual postwar deep ebony black. When I was happy with the result I reblued a straight grip Webley Mark 1, which had lost virtually all of its original finish, but amazingly had no pitting and still had crisp lettering. I then distressed it to match a similar Mark 1 which had all its original blue. Here are the two together. I did not keep a record of the serial numbers, and after ten years I genuinely do not know which is which. So although one can be critical about refinishing vintage guns, it does not always have to be aesthetically annoying.

Thanks John, that's excellent. But examining my reaction, I note that it only helps a little bit! It really matters that it's not original. I think it's knowing that the original finish has disappeared forever, and with the certainty that what you're looking a has a direct connection with the factory that made it. Never mind that the surface finish is just .000001% of the total mass!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks John, that's excellent. But examining my reaction, I note that it only helps a little bit! It really matters that it's not original. I think it's knowing that the original finish has disappeared forever, and with the certainty that what you're looking a has a direct connection with the factory that made it. Never mind that the surface finish is just .000001% of the total mass!
    I can appreciate that viewpoint Danny, but it only holds for me if an item is particularly rare or unique, and that there is a case for all of its features, such as natural wear and tear, later repairs etc. to be preserved as part of its story. However, when one has several examples of the same thing, something that is readily available on the open market, and one of them happens to be an eyesore due to unnatural circumstances, then sympathetic restoration of the eyesore can only be for the better.

Its the old much discussed chestnut, is a damaged Rembrandt or a rusting classic car best left alone or restored.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I can appreciate that viewpoint Danny, but it only holds for me if an item is particularly rare or unique, and that there is a case for all of its features, such as natural wear and tear, later repairs etc. to be preserved as part of its story. However, when one has several examples of the same thing, something that is readily available on the open market, and one of them happens to be an eyesore due to unnatural circumstances, then sympathetic restoration of the eyesore can only be for the better.

Its the old much discussed chestnut, is a damaged Rembrandt or a rusting classic car best left alone or restored.
    Yes, very fair point John.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery