Thread: Webley MK 3 servicing and refurbishing

Thumbs up Webley MK 3 servicing and refurbishing

Hi, I have recently purchased a Webley MK 3 which seems to be in relatively good condition. I am curious to know it’s possible manufacturing date, serial number A1964, and also advice on how best to service/refurbish the rifle. It has come with. Telescopic site which is definitely not original!

Strangely the A prefix was used for two runs. Thrale's book says, week ending 5 2 67 A1880-1979 All .22
    23 5 70 A1951-A2040 Both calibres
    Not easy to say which is yours without detail. Main difference seems to be stock finish. Mid brown earlier series. Dark almost ebony late series.

As for servicing these just oil the joints take the stock off and oil the metal work hidden by the wood work. If you can remove spring and piston to check the washer, these can perish and alter the performance. I have had guns which shot OK but upon inspection the washer was on its way out and needed replacing, while you have the gun apart it may pay to check the tap lever to see if its lining up OK and to check for crap in the bottom of the cylinder chamber like nails and BBs etc, it surprising what people put down a barrel to fire out. It a bit like owning a car for the first time as long as you know where you are with the clutch and cam belt you will get good milage out of it.

I came to this site, some years ago, after buying a Mk3, having had one of these as a boy. Since then, I have bought other collectible air rifles.

It is not worth using a scope on the Mk3 as the rails do not hold the scope due to recoil. The open sights, however, are good. The best pellets, I have found, are Superdome and I can obtain a group from a rest of approx 3/4in at 25yds. They also produce worthwhile power of around 10ft/lbs for mine.

On the 'Stickys' here, from memory, there is a stripping guide and the Mk3 is featured. When I stripped mine, which is not difficult even for a technophobe like me, I found that there was an airgun pellet in the chamber. Somehow it had presumably entered via the transfer port. I removed the washer and soaked it overnight in Neatsfoot Compound'. You might like to place a very thin smear of grease on the spring.

There are also some good Youtube videos on the Mk3, which you might find helpful.

Welcome to the site and let us know how you get on.

Rgds
    A