Thread: Valve spout lid

Valve spout lid

Anyone have a valvespout screw on lid lying around? They want to sell
    I'm hoping to make a replica pre war webley oil can(as I know a genuine will be impossible to find) I've just got hold of a suitable tin but need to find a valvespout lid for it
    Many thanks

I didnt think that the Valvespout fittings were designed to come apart. However - that said there are a few cheap ones on Fleabay at the mo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I didnt think that the Valvespout fittings were designed to come apart. However - that said there are a few cheap ones on Fleabay at the mo.
    That's correct Lakey. Genuine Webley valvespout oilcans had a non removable valvespout, whereas Parker Hale did offer similar cans with removeable valvespouts for their oils.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Yep they are non removable on the originals but I'm making a replica can so it will be removable

I had this very well made reproduction Valvespout oil can to accompany my Webley Senior in its original canvas case until I eventually tracked down an original. As has already been said, the main difference was the sealed spout on the original compared with the removable one on the replica. There was also a very small and deliberately introduced printing anomaly on the label to further identify it as a reproduction.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I had this very well made reproduction Valvespout oil can to accompany my Webley Senior in its original canvas case until I eventually tracked down an original. As has already been said, the main difference was the sealed spout on the original compared with the removable one on the replica. There was also a very small and deliberately introduced printing anomaly on the label to further identify it as a reproduction.

Brian
    Nice,have you got a pic of the original one?

Some pictures of the pre-war Webley oil can and how it sits nicely in the case with other contemporary accessories.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Some pictures of the pre-war Webley oil can and how it sits nicely in the case with other contemporary accessories.

Brian
    Very nice
    Exactly what I'm going to recreate

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Very nice
    Exactly what I'm going to recreate
    I was lucky enough to track down the original can after many years of searching when a fellow club member who also happened to be a Arms & Militaria valuer for a large auction house gave me a heads-up on one before it went to auction.
    The reproduction can looked very nice, but I was happy to replace it with an original when one eventually came along.
    Being non-refillable these original cans were usually discarded when empty unlike the later post-war cans with a consequent lack of surviving examples.
    Good luck with your search for the Valvespout and being paper rather than printed on the cans themselves, you should be able to recreate a suitable label to go on to your can.

Brian

Well I managed to get hold of one of David's superb repo cans and another repo can along with a donor can to make another repo webley can

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Well I managed to get hold of one of David's superb repo cans and another repo can along with a donor can to make another repo webley can

Congratulations on a job well done which will complete your cased Slant Grip Senior set perfectly.

Brian