Thread: Airgun tuning cherry busted

Airgun tuning cherry busted

I recently acquired a new HW99s 0.177 which was a little harsh to say the least. It was difficult to break the barrel and the spring made weird noises. Anyway I purchased a Welsh Willy kit including spring and set about taking it apart. Nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be but putting it back together was a little more challenging but still not difficult. Cocking is now much smoother and shooting it is much more enjoyable too. These 99's are lovely but they do need a bit of love and attention and for me it was £70 very well spent. The bottom line here is if I can do it anyone can do it so if you're thinking about it then just do it.
    Last edited by Jonathan G; Yesterday at 03:33 PM. Reason: Bad grammar

It's quite amazing how much difference a set of well fitting guides can make, and once you've disassembled the gun it's a relief to know the job isn't as daunting as it might've seemed at first

Quote Originally Posted by Willenium View Post
    It's quite amazing how much difference a set of well fitting guides can make, and once you've disassembled the gun it's a relief to know the job isn't as daunting as it might've seemed at first
    Oh yes a massive relief. I had visions of bundling it up after I made a mess of it for it to be sent off to be sorted properly.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it's a slippery slope....

(that's how I started collecting lathes !!!!)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

PLAGUE is offline Nice to see you, to see you,,,,,,,Nice!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    it's a slippery slope....

(that's how I started collecting lathes !!!!)
    Ohh no , i've just bought my first lathe (super7).

Steve.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
    Ohh no , i've just bought my first lathe (super7).

Steve.
    Nice... Did you manged to find a big bore ? More flexible for barrel / shroud work...

I've found the Atlas 10F an awesome value "airgun lathe". Big bore (will take a 20mm shroud), metric and imperial threads, pretty good spares support, and not half as expensive as myford. Not as tough or rigid either, but we are not running commercial machine shops - I just take lighter cuts. And they have a cool, retro look
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That's lovely, Jon.

One day, one day.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan G View Post
    I recently acquired a new HW99s 0.177 which was a little harsh to say the least. It was difficult to break the barrel and the spring made weird noises. Anyway I purchased a Welsh Willy kit including spring and set about taking it apart. Nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be but putting it back together was a little more challenging but still not difficult. Cocking is now much smoother and shooting it is much more enjoyable too. These 99's are lovely but they do need a bit of love and attention and for me it was £70 very well spent. The bottom line here is if I can do it anyone can do it so if you're thinking about it then just do it.
    Very well done on your first Boinger fettle. As you say, nowhere as tricky as one might first imagine. Nice and satisfying to be able to do it yourself and you can now rest happily in the knowledge that all is checked and as it should be. Nice to know that if you ever were to need to fix anything, it would be easy.

Many 99s I've come across have cocked and shot smoothly out of the box.

Have you done the anti-galling checks / mods?

Now enjoy.

What pellets have you tried so far? If you haven't done so already, do give the H&N FTT and Baracuda 8s a try.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!