Thread: Best Contemporary Pellets

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Best Contemporary Pellets

What’s the consensus on the best pellets today?

I haven’t followed this story, last time I checked it was the JSB and it’s rebadged brethren, and the H&N FTT.

Curiously I found that RWS Superfield worked really well both in my BSA PCP and my Weihrauch springers. I’ve run out of the big batch I had now. I loathe doing pellet tests so I like a nice narrow set of likely suspects, hopefully no more than three.

JSB Exact or Hades in .25 & .22, FTT in .20, I don't shoot .177 but hear lots of good things about QYS.

Strangely with the badged JSB's in .22, AA & FX seem fine but Rangemaster Sovereign just aren't as good.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Perhaps we should have catagories, Best overall, best hunter, best budget etc, could actually make a good sticky so you don't get so many what pellets should I get threads.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

In .177 I'm loving the H&N FTT and Baracuda FT. I have Baracuda 8s to test also. All the HWs I've tried the H&Ns in seem to love them and you don't seem to get those massive variations you hear about with JSB and different batches. For my .22 HW springers, the same applies with the FTT.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    In .177 I'm loving the H&N FTT and Baracuda FT. I have Baracuda 8s to test also. All the HWs I've tried the H&Ns in seem to love them and you don't seem to get those massive variations you hear about with JSB and different batches. For my .22 HW springers, the same applies with the FTT.
    A reassuringly traditional selection. I’ve got some Barracudas somewhere, should give them a try. I’ve heard people praise the 8s at the club so I should give them a try as well. On the advice of this thread I’ve put my prejudice aside and bought some of these here special QYS magic Chinese pellets, although I note they don’t come at a typical Chinese price.

PaulH is offline A hunky chunk ball of baldy luuuuurve.
    I'm using Superfields in all my springers & PCP's they do the job very well and at a very good price

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    my shortlist in no particular order, as all of my guns wind up favouring one of these:

Baracuda 8s
    JSB exacts (7.9, 8.4, 13.4, 14.3, 15.9)
    QYS domes
    Superfields
    JSB heavy in .177
    H&N FTT

And of course hobbies for plinking
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Once apun a time it was AA's especially in .177, .22 has always been a bit of a mixture, recently I've found the .22 Excite pellets that Tone suggested, seem to go through German barrels pretty well (HW30 and D34 not tried them in the LGV)
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Once apun a time it was AA's especially in .177, .22 has always been a bit of a mixture, recently I've found the .22 Excite pellets that Tone suggested, seem to go through German barrels pretty well (HW30 and D34 not tried them in the LGV)
    Pete do you have a recommendation for the BSA in .177? The Mercury has improved after a barrel scrub and some attention to the crown but 20mm groups at 25 yards is the best it’ll do now, an improvement on 25mm groups at 10 yards but pretty disappointing. Perhaps it needs more lead through it, but the throat seems to be very wide and long so I’m guessing skirt diameter is going to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    my shortlist in no particular order, as all of my guns wind up favouring one of these:

Baracuda 8s
    QYS domes
    Superfields
    JSB heavy in .177
    H&N FTT

The gang!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

Baracuda 8s
    QYS domes
    Superfields
    JSB heavy in .177
    H&N FTT

Yep, the Hobby in .177 and .22 for plinking in some of my guns. Plus for power testing in springers, along with the lighter JSB varieties - RS and Express.

But for accuracy, those listed above.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    A reassuringly traditional selection. I’ve got some Barracudas somewhere, should give them a try. I’ve heard people praise the 8s at the club so I should give them a try as well. On the advice of this thread I’ve put my prejudice aside and bought some of these here special QYS magic Chinese pellets, although I note they don’t come at a typical Chinese price.
    Al, don't confuse the Baracuda FT with the "original", heavier Baracuda. The FT weighs in at 9.57 grains (the same as my favourite hunting .177 pellet in the 80s, the H&N Silhouette). They also do another one. Same pellet, same weight, but reduced levels of stringent QC. Called the Baracuda Light, or similar. But the last time I looked they didn't seem much cheaper.

Oh yes.....close quarter ratting.......the .22 Hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Al, don't confuse the Baracuda FT with the "original", heavier Baracuda. The FT weighs in at 9.57 grains (the same as my favourite hunting .177 pellet in the 80s, the H&N Silhouette). They also do another one. Same pellet, same weight, but reduced levels of stringent QC. Called the Baracuda Light, or similar. But the last time I looked they didn't seem much cheaper.
    I actually confused a tin of old Bisley Magnums with Baracudas .. unless they’re just rebadged old school Baracudas? I’ve sorted through the stock and I’ve good few tins of Air Arms 4.50 and 4.51, plus JSBs in the same size .. they’re the same pellet no? Probably best to match the rifle to the pellet at this point just to use them up.

With three sizes in a caliber and three or so pellet types plus half a dozen brands pellet testing could get tedious. Back in the day it was RWS Meisterkugeln or H&N Match because all the others were shit.

QYS Domed