Page 68 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1739

Thread: Spring Bash 4th and 5th May 2024

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I found some excellent videos on line when reawakening my interest a few months ago which really helped. If you fancied it, search out videos on that well-known platform from Gamekeeper John, Catty Shack, Catapult Carnage, Simpleshot, Snipersling, Axiom Outdoors......there's loads to go at re band length, thickness, tapers etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Theres not a lot to it per se, you've got thickness, length of draw and band recovery, Thickness often dictates how hard it'll hit and last, length of draw can have effect on how much you can control the power and recovery pretty much covers speed, better it is the faster your projectile is going to reach its target.
    Annoyingly they tend to only give thickness for tubes as I'm still trying to choose candidates for the Custom Pair as I want something good but not the same as the High power band already on the Cobra.

Most of the other terms don't really have any effect other than what feels comfortable to you, OTT (Over the Forks) and TTF(through the forks) dictates how the projectile is released (your Black Widow is TTF), Fork width can go wide to non existant and is based on prerences of Hold and ammo generally and lastly the holds again are based on how you are comfortable, some will prefer a hold keeping their hand down on the grip where others will prefer a pinch grip which puts their Thumb and index finger up on the forks for a bit more sensitive control.
    Thanks for the info chaps, probably is better to learn more about it before splashing the cash esp I've gone mental buying guns this year.

Catty Shack sells bands in different thicknesses, that's when I realised it was all a lot more involved than it was, the ammo is all different sizes too, not like just picking a Black widow up in the 80's lol.

Do not sell this man any air guns no matter what he says

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Normally most bands say what Ammo they are rated for, tbh unless you are hunting the smaller cheaper stuff will do, even pebbles will do as thats what I used learning as a kid, a Catty isn't fussed about ammo like a Rifle is so the cheapest bag or bottle of it will do.
    I've been using some old Modelling clay to make my own that I keep in Mint tins, uniform as I can so I can keep the same reference points but if you've got the means you can recycle old Pellets into Catty ammo.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Roadworks near the bash

Exit of the A46 at the go kart track is closed Sothbound.

Northbound exit is still open. Just after the overhead bridge.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Good morning boing
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Normally most bands say what Ammo they are rated for, tbh unless you are hunting the smaller cheaper stuff will do, even pebbles will do as thats what I used learning as a kid, a Catty isn't fussed about ammo like a Rifle is so the cheapest bag or bottle of it will do.
    I've been using some old Modelling clay to make my own that I keep in Mint tins, uniform as I can so I can keep the same reference points but if you've got the means you can recycle old Pellets into Catty ammo.
    Years ago I'd only ever use stones. However, if one is going to be chasing better accuracy, the uniformity of ball ammo has to be a game changer. As hinted, different bands will suit different weight ammo. On the Catty Shack and Wasp sites (no doubt others too), on the sections selling pre-made band sets, as said, it tells you which ammo will be best suited.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post

Thanks, Neil. So, if coming from Newark towards Leicester, better to take the A606 and turn right onto the "Bash road" a couple of miles down the road?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Yay!

Managed to get a brief plink in yesterday. Very brief but very enjoyable.

Firstly I grabbed the Brocock Independent that I got from Pete last year in a swap with the Merc S. Remember that groaning noise when cocking, Pete? Well, a few months ago I dropped a couple of drops of moly oil into the TP, worked it in a little and left it. Wasn't intending on shooting or leaving it like that, thinking if the noise had gone to strip and lube properly. However, I had about twenty shots yesterday. No noise and just the tiniest hint of a diesel smell, no detonation, so might leave it like this. Obviously, thinking back to last year, it was after a few shots and in warmer temps, but this might have done the trick.....

This rifle also likes the Excite Hammers, grouping very nicely. Firing cycle lovely (ram still fitted).

Then I had my first few shots with that recently bought Wasp Enzo catty and the 8mm steel balls provided with the packaged kit. Was getting quite good accuracy with reference point established. Must sort a better catch box arrangement. With these lighter bands in this kit, it's very, very easy to shoot and very smooth. However, I think I might go slightly heavier bands next time so I can go bigger on the ammo to get better "pouch grip", as the 8mm steels I was using yesterday with the very small pouch was a bit fiddly....

Loved my little sesh, though; it had been a long time coming.

Smile Sleepometer says

12 to go for the Saturday peeps.

BOING!

I'm trying to get the work area cleared for a little plinking before the BSA or Daisy is on the Ironing board, still cant plink outside as whenever the ground seems to be firming up of late the rain comes back to soak it, did almost get out to sort things yesterday but this bloody tiredness thing just kept me in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post

What would be my best route then Neil coming ? I normally join the A46 off the A1. I don't have a sat nav.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    What would be my best route then Neil coming ? I normally join the A46 off the A1. I don't have a sat nav.
    Come off the A46 the junction before for Upper Broughton & Melton Mowbray, then turn west at Upper Broughton.

TBH sat navs are old hat, phone apps work a lot better, ( and they are free) I tried a load of them & found "waze" to be the best, it's constantly updated by users & gives the fastest routes plus alternatives. It even points out pot holes & road works.

I don't even look at the map on it any more, I just follow the instructions & never got lost once. It's clever too, if you do go down the wrong road it changes the route rather than demand you turn around like sat navs do.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Years ago I'd only ever use stones. However, if one is going to be chasing better accuracy, the uniformity of ball ammo has to be a game changer. As hinted, different bands will suit different weight ammo. On the Catty Shack and Wasp sites (no doubt others too), on the sections selling pre-made band sets, as said, it tells you which ammo will be best suited.

I used to use marbles, cheap & easy to source.

Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    Come off the A46 the junction before for Upper Broughton & Melton Mowbray, then turn west at Upper Broughton.

TBH sat navs are old hat, phone apps work a lot better, ( and they are free) I tried a load of them & found "waze" to be the best, it's constantly updated by users & gives the fastest routes plus alternatives. It even points out pot holes & road works.

I don't even look at the map on it any more, I just follow the instructions & never got lost once. It's clever too, if you do go down the wrong road it changes the route rather than demand you turn around like sat navs do.

Cheers

But I don't have a smart phone either

I normally study a route and draw a little map on a piece of paper
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    I used to use marbles, cheap & easy to source.

They still are somewhat, if it doesn't already mention it on a Bands listing any seller/maker worth they're salt should be able to tell you if that Band is suited to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Take the A606 left toward Melton Mowbray. At the Tap and Run pub, turn right.
    Bash gate will be on the left after the railway bridge.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.