Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Webley senior

Hi Stu,

That is a beautiful cased set; one of the best I have ever seen but in my view, the repro can takes away from it rather than enhances it. I'd have sought a contemporary valvespout can such as a Parker Hale or maybe some 1930s Rangoon oil.

Still, that's only my opinion, and if you disagree, don't let me take away from your pride of ownership of such a lovely cased Senior.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Stu,

That is a beautiful cased set; one of the best I have ever seen but in my view, the repro can takes away from it rather than enhances it. I'd have sought a contemporary valvespout can such as a Parker Hale or maybe some 1930s Rangoon oil.

Still, that's only my opinion, and if you disagree, don't let me take away from your pride of ownership of such a lovely cased Senior.

John
    Hi John,

I would entirely agree that from a purist point of view original is obviously better than reproduction, but when obtaining an original is almost impossible I would have no problem with a quality reproduction that displays the set as it would have looked when leaving the factory with it’s all Webley theme. It also eases the pressure of the missing place in the set until maybe as in my case an original eventually turns up. The only proviso being that such things are not claimed as original should the set be moved on which I’m absolutely sure would not be the case with this set.

Brian

Hi john/Brian

To be fair I can see both points of view but I'm personally more with Brian in that I'd rather have a decent repo item than a blank space,but do see how some would rather have nothing than try to fake it,ideally as its such a mint set that won't be sold I hope eventually an original can will come up,yes I know it won't be cheap (but also know it wont lose value) but worth it to have a complete original set,but untill then I'm happy to fake it 🤣

Not sure I have ever seen a genuine oil can, seen a few reported to be genuine though.

Here are my fake cans

I believe this to be a genuine oil can.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fpQxH3pcJadwcMpu8

The Rexine case is possibly rarer than the canvas & leather one.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I believe this to be a genuine oil can.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fpQxH3pcJadwcMpu8

The Rexine case is possibly rarer than the canvas & leather one.

John
    Which can John?
    Seen many genuine orange cans.

The valvespout in the pre war case, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Cheers Brian,

Yes it has the knurled barrel that was fitted to the later pre war seniors,I prefer the un knurled barrel to be fair as I think it looks better
    I've wanted a cased senior for a very long time so nice to finally get hold of one
    Only thing I need to get hold of now is a nice straight grip senior which I've had no luck with,but I'm sure one will turn up in time
    Very nice set! Bit puzzled concerning the knurling however. I thought the longer knurling pattern started after the war, which was then was shortned in a later period. Could this barrel then be explained as a pre-war Senior copy, with a post-war replacement barrel perhaps? Or is there any proof that knurled barrels were already available and very late pre-war production simply was a mix and match of parts available. My serial 18999 still has the smooth barrel exterior btw.

Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Very nice set! Bit puzzled concerning the knurling however. I thought the longer knurling pattern started after the war, which was then was shortned in a later period. Could this barrel then be explained as a pre-war Senior copy, with a post-war replacement barrel perhaps? Or is there any proof that knurled barrels were already available and very late pre-war production simply was a mix and match of parts available. My serial 18999 still has the smooth barrel exterior btw.
    The long knurling was introduced towards the end of the pre-war production period. (According to Gordon Bruce in his Webley Air Pistols Book this occurred in June 1939. Shortening of the knurling took place in September 1949.) So the barrel on the said pistol is consistent with its very late pre-war manufacture.

Cheers
    John

[QUOTE=Dutch;8285726]Very nice set! Bit puzzled concerning the knurling however. I thought the longer knurling pattern started after the war, which was then was shortned in a later period. Could this barrel then be explained as a pre-war Senior copy, with a post-war replacement barrel perhaps? Or is there any proof that knurled barrels were already available and very late pre-war production simply was a mix and match of parts available. My serial 18999 still has the smooth barrel exterior btw.

As pointed out above,it arrived for the very last pre war seniors made,there is a few examples about with a similar serial number

I did also want a prewar with a non knurled barrel tho so I just got hold of this as it seemed a decent price,shame the box has had such a hard life but atleast it's complete and original