Thread: An unusual scratch-built air pistol. Springer or pump-up?

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

An unusual scratch-built air pistol. Springer or pump-up?

This scratch-built pistol is currently up for auction at Ryedale Auctoneers. Its construction is rough, but it has some interesting features. The catalogue is not very informative and just says “Made from copper, brass, steel and wood handle”. From the pictures it could be a springer or pump-up. I have asked the auction house for more information but so far have had no reply. What do you think it might be?

Question

It looks like a pneumatic to me like some of the older front pump Benjamin pistols, There doesn't seem to be a way to compress the mainspring if it was a springer!
    Last edited by johnbaz; 13-02-2024 at 11:50 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

It certainly looks like a Benjamin front pump pneumatic, as John says.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    It looks like a pneumatic to me like some of the olders front pump Benjamin pistols, There doesn't seem to be a way to compress the mainspring if it was a sprainger!
    It could be like the Pope pistol, where the plunger is pulled out to compress the spring:

Looking closely at this pistol, there seems to be a horizontal actuator rod directly behind the trigger, which is connected to the cylinder valve externally (!) at the rear of the pistol. Very crude!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

If it is a pump-up, as it seems to be, I wonder how you could access the inlet valve for the compression chamber?

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    More than likely made by Heath Robinson and Co pluming dept.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    More than likely made by Heath Robinson and Co pluming dept.
    In their lunch hour - or two

I have now heard from the auctioneers, and they have confirmed that it is indeed a pump-up pistol. They also say that it 'lacks compression and probably needs a new washer', so that goes back to my previous question, how do you access the inner washer?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I have now heard from the auctioneers, and they have confirmed that it is indeed a pump-up pistol. They also say that it 'lacks compression and probably needs a new washer', so that goes back to my previous question, how do you access the inner washer?
    Its difficult to be sure form those photos but the most obvious place to put the access would be via the brass bit at the back where the firing valve is fitted. If the inside of the rear section can be removed (unscrewed?) then the firing valve would come out for maintenance and the inlet valve would sit behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Its difficult to be sure form those photos but the most obvious place to put the access would be via the brass bit at the back where the firing valve is fitted. If the inside of the rear section can be removed (unscrewed?) then the firing valve would come out for maintenance and the inlet valve would sit behind it.
    That makes sense Matt, but the machining skills involved would have to be be better than those displayed in the rest of the gun's construction. Or perhaps it never held the air properly?

He would have been better off using spring power as in the Pope. I might then have considered putting in a bid!

Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Tap it gently on the bench and it all falls apart ? :-)