Thread: A couple of ideas/things that are not that good.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

A couple of ideas/things that are not that good.

These thoughts have been popping into my head the last few days.

Plating Webley pistols and cutting barrels down on Bsa Meteors and fitting a silencer.

Plated Webley pistols can look pretty good and be pretty good if they have been stripped down fully for plating, had their threads taped up and don't have the pins or the rearsight plated.

I've got a plated Senior that Ollie sent me the other year. The head of the barrel catch pivot was part broken (and a swine to try to undo) , the barrel pivot screw threads were plated so it wouldn't screw in and the linkages/cocking shoe and pins had not been stripped before plating. This meant that the pins were a swine to get out. The cocking shoe one needed shifting as the shoe had been plated even though it was worn and wouldn't cock the gun. The gun now has normal blued pins. pivots and cocking shoe.
    Also with plating the barrel and rearsight, you cannot get a good sight picture especially when it is sunny. With polishing the foresight had become a bit bit of a blobby triangle rather than having square edges. I've fitted a blued rearsight plate.

The thing about cutting down the barrel on a Meteor is by the time you have fitted a silencer, the barrel is near as long as it was. If you use your gun for hunting, fine, but if you want a carbiney thing they look a bit crap by the time you have the silencer on.
    I have only ever cut down barrels that have already been badly cut, and squared them up.
    I know a few of the tinkerers, every time they get an old rough gun, the barrel gets cut, a silencer put on and a scope added. I've seen a few Relums, Meteors and Diana/ Milbro offerings like that. I think they look pretty crap.

Anyhow---we are all different, but just have a think before you bling your Webley or take a saw to your Meteor barrel
    Last edited by ggggr; 16-02-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

That reminds me I prepped a Senior for plating and never got round to getting it done. (It had some heat damage to the blueing so a good candidate for plating)

I’ll check for your recommendations.

Cheers,
    Matt

Regarding shortening and fitting a silencer, this is where the Sandwell Field sports Hushwell excels, it only sticks out about two inches from the barrel. I had about five inches taken off an Airsporter, the Hushwell extends to about 2 inches from the stock.
    I took one inch off one of my Meteors which is just enough to remove the screw hole but retain 1/4 inch of counterbore. Master metal polisher Dez cleaned up the end when he polished the entire gun, now protected with laquer.
    You can notice this discrete carbining and I think it looks good but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.