Thread: A few webley pistols

A few webley pistols

Think I need a bigger table 🤣 yes I know some have many more than this but as I had them all out for a check over and lube up I thought I'd cram as many as I could onto the table for a pic,sadly couldn't get them all in so will do part 2 another day.
    I collect alot of old pistols but webley are by far my favourite,they seem like a marmite tho as reading through various posts over the years it seems quite a few really don't like them,which is fine but I can't work out why,they are solid,so easy to strip and rebuild (something I really appreciate after spending hours stripping a bsa scorpion trigger) they look awesome,again that's my own opinion as I know some people aren't a fan of the looks and I think they are fairly accurate,again I know alot disagree but I can get far tighter groups with a webley than I can with a scorpion or hw45,maybe that's down to my shooting webleys alot more,ok it's not on par with a target pistol or a modern pcp such as my hw44s but considering the age they are now I think they are pretty good. I think it's a real shame we will never again get a solid steel hand-built pistol again,no matter how accurate and light the modern plastic(yes I know they give it a fancy polycarbonate name) but it still looks and feels plastic 🤣
    Anyway be interesting to get you're thoughts on the webleys (good and bad)?

Nice collection, Evostu. I must have missed the posts where people criticize them. What's not to like? Pre-war, post-war, straight grip, slant grip -- love 'em all. Own about 20 myself.

You have a fine collection Stu.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. No pistol beats a Webley IMHO!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

wow very nice collection

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    That is what you call a very nice collection of Webley air pistols, and they all look like they are in excellent condition.

Personally I like Webley air pistols with the barrel over the cylinder. The very early ones with extended barrel straight grips & a safety are very nicely made but the grip angle does not suit me very well. A slant grip Senior, or MK1 or Premier, well they are about spot on. Double link cocking, yes its easier than the single linkage but it's not bad either. Best ones in my view are the all steel Premiers or Seniors. Even the diminutive Junior is a nice pistol, early 2 tone plum coloured ones can shoot well, light & easy to cock too. Great for a plinking session. The rear lock up of the barrel under the stirrup catch seems a bit weak from a consistency of lock up/ barrel alignment perspective but Webley said 1" at 30ft, so what do I know? They seem capable enough & are still performing like this years later. I cant think of a better easier to make alternative to the stirrup catch. Fit for purpose, yes definately. Only big criticism would be that rather small front sight. Rear is ok, bit fiddly but once set it's not often I think about adjusting it. So yes, overall pretty good little pistols. Easy to take appart for new springs or seals too, the airpistol equivalent of the pre war BSA underlever air rifle.........not perfect but probably the best going at the time & still capable.

Edit. Nice collection of Webley air pistols, very nice indeed

I prefer the pre-war Straight Grip models for their appearance and the post-war Slant Grip models for their ergonomics. The Slant Grip pistols seem to provide a more natural and comfortable hold when bringing the pistol up to the aim.
    The nearest pistol to the Webley that I’ve come across is the Abas Major which although having several innovative features was more expensive to purchase at the time if that was a consideration when choosing a powerful, compact air pistol.

Favourite pre-war Webley pistols in order of preference Senior, Mk2 Target and Mk1.

Favourite post-war Webley pistols in order of preference A Series Premier, Senior and Mk1

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I prefer the pre-war Straight Grip models for their appearance and the post-war Slant Grip models for their ergonomics. The Slant Grip pistols seem to provide a more natural and comfortable hold when bringing the pistol up to the aim.
    The nearest pistol to the Webley that I’ve come across is the Abas Major which although having several innovative features was more expensive to purchase at the time if that was a consideration when choosing a powerful, compact air pistol.

Favourite pre-war Webley pistols in order of preference Senior, Mk2 Target and Mk1.

Favourite post-war Webley pistols in order of preference A Series Premier, Senior and Mk1

Brian
    Hard to argue with your choices Brian as they mirror my own! Trouble is I like them all and have even had good results from a smoothbore Junior dropping Knockover skittles placed 20 yards away.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

The straight grip mk11 Target seems to sit better in my hand than the early Senior, I think it's that the frame is relieved behind the trigger guard so it sits a little lower & that helps. However a Premier A or B would, I think bs be my preferred option, & preferably in .177, but that's just me.

Cocking these pistols could be quite difficult on the earlier models until the extra cocking link was introduced, but you soon pick-up the knack and provided its done with one continuous motion is not really a problem.

Brian

Wowser!!

Some beauties!, IJ would have loved this thread as i'm sure he secretly loved the Wobblies!!

My few, A couple went in trade but were replaced..

My most recent Webley pistol (Nemesis)

And a Stinger BB gun that wouldn't shoot!

After a strip, Clean and lube it was shooting spot on!

The steel BB's actually dented the steel target holder!!

I found a couple of these leather holsters for the overlevers, Don't use them but it's nice to have them!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Very nice collections guys.